Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Mac Book Pro

warrenpfo

I know this is not PC/Mac forum nor do I want this to become a debate on Mac vs PC but with my desktop having died a few weeks ago and secretly wanting to make the move across to Mac for some time now seems to be perfect.

I know there are a number of people on here who are far more technically minded then me and know more on the subject so thought I would ask here as when ever someone asks a “what spec” or “which model is right for me” question on the dedicated computer forums 9 times out of 10 you end up getting flamed and abused for not knowing.

I did build my last PC so have a basic understanding of how things work but that was a pc and a desktop at that and now I want to move back to a laptop…..well actually a hybrid but let me explain.

I want a laptop that will last for a good few years and be able to take what ever program or task I throw at it. Most of what I do is your normal surfing the web, email type of work but I also like to do a bit of photoshop and manipulation of photographs along with editing gopro hd video.

I plan/thinking is to get a laptop that when at home will “plug” one of apples big screens along with a dedicated trackpad and keyboard but can easily be un plugged and taken out the house when traveling etc.

There are many options when it comes to the 13” mac book pro but if anyone could give me some direction when it come to ram and processor then that would be great.

2.4 i5, 2.6 i5 Dual core
2.8 i7 Dual core
8 or 16MB ram

They are not cheap and want to not regret not getting the faster machine down the line but at the same time there is no need in wasting money.

Here is a link direct to the shop to look at the specs if you want.
http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro

I always go for the fastest your comfortable paying.... It will in theory last longer and have a better resale value for longer.. I think the 13" is the better choice, I had a 13" sold it (4.5yrs old) for 300 and only paid 800 from the states! anyway I bought the 15" pro, obviously its bigger, but for me it ran hotter, the battery time was awful compared and after a year went back to an 13". Good combination of size and usability. Do they do the combo drive of SSD and regular and my imac is awesome with the drive in it. Boot time is about 6 seconds.

Its all ssd either 125/512 or 1024 unfortunately its not user up-gradable as no on else makes them (yet) as they are PCI SSD's rather than the std ssd.

I will go for the 512mb as I have a home nas drive for external storage.

Go for the 16gb of memory then, i7 it would be one hell of a computer. Its only money!

I have been doing the rounds looking for a laptop replacement, and I am seriously considering a Mac Book Air, however the things that are putting me off:
  • Generally you get a lower spec than you would in the PC world
  • Don't have touch screen
  • It's just a laptop, cant' be used as a tablet

The good sides:
  • Can dual boot naively so if there is a bit of software that only works in Windowz then you have a options
  • Do support Windows in a visualized instance, although you will need more RAM
  • Retina display is fantastic although this is only on the Mac Book Pro
  • MAC's generally hold their value quite well

I have also looked at the Windows 8.1 based multi format devices, like the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro :http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-2-pro/
Laptop which folds into a tablet with a 3200 x 1800 IPS screen, touch screen and all the other goodies.

Sony also do something similar the Sony VIAO Fit multi-flip: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-fit-a/tab/overview?cpint=15044706
I don't think it's as nice, but again a pretty cool bit of kit.

What am I going to get, not sure as I am waiting for both the Lenovo and the Sony to be released, and then I will decide. Scary thing is that whatever I get, it looks like it's going to be around the £1.3k mark, which is crazy for a laptop device.... considering I have a perfectly usable PC, and a tablet.....

Ran a Macbook Pro for the past two years.
Yes it did cost a lot £1,800 or so with the software bundles and options.
Nothing but impressed when compared to windows machines I've owned.
Had no issues with virus's.
No blue screen of death.

Possibly the most impressive thing is that it has survived being dropped twice from rucksack heights onto concrete (bloody zip ! ).
The case (shell) got a couple of dent, but it wears the scars with pride and hasn't missed a beat.

I am a complete convert.
My wife still has a windows laptop and it seems like utter s h i t e in comparison (although hers was half the price the mac is more than twice the machine).

Jump in with both feet and buy what you need or can afford.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally if I really wanted to run OS (which I dont, Ubuntu is the better option in my opinion) I would buy the best laptop I would afford and install OS on it. You pay an awful lot for a shiny box from Apple, yes they look nice and are well designed and well made BUT the hardware is exactly the same as any other machine you could buy and you are paying a lot more for that hardware buying it from Apple.

You could afford to buy a better spec machine and buy OS for less money than a mac book pro and it will be more upgradeable/future proof too.

If you thought you couldnt install OS on anything other than a Mac then Google is your friend (Search Hackintosh). :)

Back