Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diesel Trap

Are you sure? Wouldn't fitting an additional particle filter be more benefit? The std filter collects water just fine and you just open the tap when the light comes on. Poor diesel would more likely be a problem over water in there wouldn't it?

Clear disposable filters are available that just fit straight into the fuel line. One cut, two hose clips and it's in.

Chris

What do those filter down to Chris? I was watching a similar topic elsewhere and it's been a huge undertaking to fit another fuel filter and glass water trap, so something simple that works well sounds good.

Gary, I can't say off hand, but what you want is a course filter to take out crud and leave your genuine Mr T to do the fine work -I'd presume. Or else the new filter if very very fine would simply negate the original one. I fitted one to the last 80 in couple of mins. As it's clear you can see the fuel going past which allows to see what's going on and how much crud it's collecting. I also stuck a non return valve there as well as I was having fuel draining back to the tank due to the primer pump diaphragm being perforated.

It was along the lines of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-IN-LINE ... 1c18183f7a

Appreciate the question was about fitting a water trap. Even if you did, a coarse particle filter like this would be a good idea too.

Chris

Mmm - may not work on the 500bar system the D-4D runs - will need to check. All I need is a cloud of smoke because the fuel line exploded :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
500 bar from the tank to the filter???? Are you sure?

Chris

The high pressure is only between the injector pump on the engine and injector. It is a feature of the common rail system.

The fuel tank to injector pump is low pressure.

But why fit an extra trap when you have one already ?

Personally I don't feel the need for an additional water trap, as my truck has a trap and a warning lamp, second filter perhaps but given how easy it is to change a fuel filter I would be more likely to carry replacement filters, when your filter works and collects muck then the vehicle starts to behave as if it has fuel starvation, you seldom see any debris in the water trap as it is large enough to travel through the pipe and thus the filter does it's job and traps the dirt or muck, if you were to source a old type pre filter with a metal mesh and a glass bowl like the old tractors or plant engines used to have that would probably do what you are looking for.

something like this, the filter mesh is cleanable.
http://www.thornycroftparts.co.uk/Fuel_ ... 22929.aspx
that type of filter I would mount after the water trap but before the filter.

If I was over landing regularly through areas where the fuel quality was suspect (ie dispensed from any container that could hold fuel) that's what I would fit, I have seen this type of filter stop leaf and twig fragments that had found their way into diesel tanks due to one reason or another.

I have fitted an additional racor filter & water trap on my setup, I have a longrange tank (170l) under the back and a small electric pump pumps the fuel from this tank to the standard tank at the flick of a switch.............this is where I have this additional filter, in other words the fuel from the rear tank is filtered before it goes into the normal tank.

When I am in Africa (or anywhere where there may be crud / water in the fuel), I ALWAYS fill the long range tank first & pump it into the normal tank.

The amount of crap & water this racor filter collects can be quite considerable, I then just drain the bowl & shake out the big bits from the filter.

Check out ASAP supplies for filters (they do marine stuff),

Andy

i've used this on a couple of trips now, always been good...

DSCF0839.jpg

Back