Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff lockers

How do I know if my 80 has a diff locker
In the UK an 80 series that was built for the UK market should have front, center and rear diff locks, I'm to sure if it's the same for the Australian market, but I do know that some of the JDM import 80's only had a LSD Limited Slip Rear Diff, no front diff lock.

As Firewout has said, "look for the diff lock switch" as it's an indicator as to if you have diff locks, without crawling under the car for a look see.

But beware, just because there is a diff lock switch fitted does not mean there are diff locks fitted to the diffs.

Have a look at this Youtube video.

I hope you have got them. :thumbup:

Good Luck.

In the UK an 80 series that was built for the UK market should have front, center and rear diff locks, I'm to sure if it's the same for the Australian market, but I do know that some of the JDM import 80's only had a LSD Limited Slip Rear Diff, no front diff lock.

As Firewout has said, "look for the diff lock switch" as it's an indicator as to if you have diff locks, without crawling under the car for a look see.

But beware, just because there is a diff lock switch fitted does not mean there are diff locks fitted to the diffs.

Have a look at this Youtube video.

I hope you have got them. :thumbup:

Good Luck.
If you’ve got an import and therefore probably no axle diff locks there would have been a small red on white transfer next to the rear axle filler plug saying ‘LSD’

As per @jibberjabber comment, there was quite few sold with no axle lockers but the switch was often fitted to drive up the price. This reminds me of the old days at the auctions. A Metro would go through cheap because it was an earlier 4 speed manual, the following week the same car would go through and fetch virtually double the price because it was now a five speed................well at least the gear knob was!!

If you lean under the front, just to one side of the differential you will see the diff lock actuator if you have one, cable is often disconnected though.

And to clarify, you will have a centre differential lock as that is standard on all models.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Then Toyota bought out A-Trac for the 100 series, but thats a whole different story. :icon-biggrin:

6E66DF7B-284A-42A3-83B3-54314481A4C3.jpeg

Just in the process of fitting diff locked axles to my import so this is what to look for

Back