Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Diff (s) or transfer case slack ??

zeplacas

Hi, i'm Jose Carmo from Portugal,
I recently bought a 2001 kzj90, real cool, to make my BJ40 company :)
I have a problem in my 90, he has a slack in one of this itens: transfer case or front diff or rear diff !

The slack is most notable when changing from 1ºst to 2ºd gear, but if i lock the center diff the slack desapears !
i suppose its from one of the diffs, because when the center diff is locked the 90 starts running with the most "unslacked" diff, so the slack isn't notable ! (am i right ?)

What do you suggest to determine the location of the slack

José Carmo
(http://www.tlcbj40.com check out my restoration)

sorry for my english !

Hi,

Hope its not the same :)

Anyway, this slack is not a repeated clunk, its more a ""backslash"" that only happens (its more felt) when changing from 1st to 2nd gear, and when i decelerate and accelerate ...

I had this issue in the BJ, and it was a simple thing . . just adjusting the pinion was OK

Tomorrow i'm going to remove the rear prop shaft and run just on the front diff to see if it's from the rear diff.
(correct me if im thinking wrong: without the rear propeller and center locked, if the slack is on the rear diff it will desappear.)
If it remains it could be from the front diff, or from the chanin. Now Clould the transfer diff locked be an influence ?~~

A bit complicated to explain !!

José Carmo

zeplacas said:
I had this issue in the BJ, and it was a simple thing . . just adjusting the pinion was OK

Tomorrow i'm going to remove the rear prop shaft and run just on the front diff to see if it's from the rear diff.
(correct me if im thinking wrong: without the rear propeller and center locked, if the slack is on the rear diff it will desappear.)
If it remains it could be from the front diff, or from the chanin. Now Clould the transfer diff locked be an influence ?~~

José Carmo

José

You are correct - with the centre differential 'open' you will feel the slack in both differentials.

My '98 KZJ95 has a bit of slack in the transmission, particularly in 4th to 5th gear. I just change carefully :D . With 127,000 miles I think its just normal.

The backlash you are feeling is unlikely to come from the Transfer Box. There is a huge chain drive in there and if the centre differential and its connections were damaged you would notice other problems.

Does the centre diff lock and Low Ratio selection operate normally :?: If yes, the Centre Diff is probably OK.

I'll be interested to hear how your experiment goes :thumbup:

"Just adjusting the pinion" would be a very difficult task for most of us as it involves stripping the differential and then using shims and 'Engineer's Blue' to get the pinion backlash and tooth contact correct. you must be an experienced Mechanic :clap:

Bob.

Hi,

I'm no experienced mechanic, but already done that in my BJ40 in both diffs, I'm looking in the web for manuals for the kzj.
I think i'm going to test, and if it's from the rear diff, i'm going to order from milnersoffroad the 4 bearings and the seal.
The 90 has 240000km, and since the diff is going to come out, lets change it all.

I think you are rigth, because if it was from the transfer (chain or center diff) i wold hear the chain loose our some kind of constant humming.

Let me get time do do this :)

José Carmo

Back