Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Difference gear oil and hypoid gear oil

HAKI

Country Flag
australia
Who knows what the difference is between normal gear oil and hypoid gear oil?
Just did oil changes on my diffs, gearbox and transfer and had to, according to the manual, use different oils.

HAKI:think:

Hypoid gear oil is for hypoid gears, which are used in Landcruiser diffs.

And if you are wondering what a hypoid gear is, it's a type of bevel gear. But the axis of the pinion doesn't go through the centre axis of the ring gear. What this does in effect is maximise the contact area between the teeth. Not sure what, why, how the oil differs, but I am guessing it's to do with the fact that the gears are continually pressing the living daylights out of the oil. It must be a pretty hard life in there and the oil gets a proper thrashing.

Who knows what the difference is between normal gear oil and hypoid gear oil?
Just did oil changes on my diffs, gearbox and transfer and had to, according to the manual, use different oils.

HAKI:think:

I'm guessing a manual gearbox. I'm having problems finding a non EP oil for my first oil change on my manual gearbox.

What oil did you use?

I just changed mine and used this and am pleased. Mineral oil game out, changes seem smoother, box is nice and quiet.IMG_0665_zps00b6415e.jpg

Andy

Thank you Andy. I found that oil and tried getting it here. Comma only has one customer in Ireland and they're out of it. I was quoted €10.00 per liter (not available in 5L).

How much did you pay?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wow!! That's the equivalent of €6.10. The Irish sea is an expensive stretch of water or the Irish distributor is a ROM!!

Its 7.09stg on Amazon, with free delivery to Eire. It was the best I could get it at when I factored in the delivery. You don't want to know what I was asked for a litre of it here in the land of the golden cow.

Its 7.09stg on Amazon, with free delivery to Eire. It was the best I could get it at when I factored in the delivery.

How did you manage free delivery? I can't.

You don't want to know what I was asked for a litre of it here in the land of the golden cow.

Oh but I do :):)

Where did you find it here?

How did you manage free delivery? I can't.

Oh but I do :):)

Where did you find it here?

Anything over 25 stg is eligable for free super saver delivery to Ireland, has been for years, but you have to select it during the check out procedure.

I found it in a motor factors in westmeath, it was 12 something for a litre.

EP additives are supposedly bad for yellow metals, which you find in gearboxes and not in diffs. Hypoid oil contains lotsa EP add's, and GL-5 more than GL-4, as I've understood it. In gearboxes, the syncro-rings will wear faster with GL-5 than with 4, I've heard.

Anything over 25 stg is eligable for free super saver delivery to Ireland, has been for years, but you have to select it during the check out procedure.

Thanks yogi. I've just bought.

I found Opie Oils very helpful when trying to decide what oil to use in my front diff. I spent 40min on the phone to a chap with him patiently listening to me go on about my hobby and how the fitting of the ARB front locker had reduced the front axle oil capacity from 1.1Ltrs to 900ml and that I'd also like to quieten it down a bit. He went on to recommend Millers CRX 75w-90 NT Competition full synthetic transmission oil with Nano Technology :) Not cheap, but has given me great peace of mind :)
Give Opie a call next time you get stuck as I found them to be very helpful :)

Back