Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Difflock actuator

Compact3

Having taken the front difflock to pieces and damaged the small springs that push the brushes against the rotating armature, are the springs made of a particular metal or can you use similar size springs from a biro which has been suggested. Do they have to be of a particular metal such as copper or steel? I ask because parts for actuators are not available, and Mr T would like you to buy the whole thing complete at a cost which sent me to the drinks cabinet.

John

Are the bushes relying on the spring for an electrical connection, or do they have a flying lead? If the spring is only a spring then I would guess you may not want it to be over conductive so as not to arc the armature. I would guess though that if you search on one of the online brush suppliers to get a replacement. You can get larger bushes and file them down to suit.

Having taken mine apart yesterday, it's just a spring - there is a flying lead. But I guess it's made from copper as a backup in case one of the leads breaks for whatever reason?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Having taken mine apart yesterday, it's just a spring - there is a flying lead. But I guess it's made from copper as a backup in case one of the leads breaks for whatever reason?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thankyou both for that. The brushes do have flying leads so one would assume that the springs do not have to be the original metal. The new brushes were too big and have been cut down to size. I could get the rear locker to work using a 9v battery but the front one is not playing for whatever reason. Where else to look I know not. It may be due to flogging around in Snowdonia. The original problem was that the front locker engaged and would not disengage so had to be taken of to unlock the front diff, and has worked since. There is also no power at the moment going to the locker actuator connector this may be just a broken wire as I have tried another ECU but no joy.
John

Back