Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Direct replacement dash and door speakers?

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Sorry, no responses in the ICE forum so thought I would try in here as it is 80-specific!

My '93 80-Series has front speakers in the lower dash only (not front doors) and rear door speakers. Since replacing the original headunit with a Pioneer one, the speakers are really lacking, and I would like to swap them out for direct replacements.

Any recommendations for some that will fit with zero or minimal modifications? I don't want to be building spacers and such like, just a straight swap if possible. The fronts have 4 mounts that have a PCD of 120mm (diagonally across the speaker), the rears are larger but have a strange 3-point mount rather than 4, each mount hole being 100mm from the next one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My truck is a keeper, so I have no reservations about "spoiling" it for re-sale.

So I abandoned the dash speakers and (hacked) carefully cut holes in the front door cards and mounted 9" speakers with separate directional tweeters. Same set up in each of the rear doors, and a 9" single unit in the rear side panel where the old base speaker used to sit with its burned out control unit.

It needed a bit of pre-purchase research to find speakers that weren't to deep, but there were plenty to choose from.

They have rubberized cones (I'm no audio buff, so there's probably a better description available) because I didn't want paper speakers getting damp and distorted.

It sounds and looks good, well pleased with the result.

Any pics Clive? Did you have to make up spacers to fit behind the OE grilles?

TBH, I'd rather keep with standard sizes if possible!

For speakers whose come isn't fiber try looking at those that are polyprpylene, e.g. Infinity speakers (i think ...). Be interested to see what you find :)

I used 4" 4 way speakers and the fronts just screwed into the oe holes. Rear door speakers were same size but loads of hassle to fit as the magnet was to big so had to space out. Was going to make some nice covers but never finished them.
Stu

I used 4" 4 way speakers and the fronts just screwed into the oe holes. Rear door speakers were same size but loads of hassle to fit as the magnet was to big so had to space out. Was going to make some nice covers but never finished them.
Stu

Any idea what make/model your front speakers were Stu? They're the ones in most urgent need of changing on mine, a direct swap would be great!

Thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Any pics Clive? Did you have to make up spacers to fit behind the OE grilles? TBH, I'd rather keep with standard sizes if possible!

I can take some photos, but it won't help you much. My truck is Euro spec, meaning more basic than the basiciest thing ever... No speakers in the front doors, just the crappy 4" things under the dash and 4" speakers in the rear passenger door cards and a relatively mahoosive (6") in the rear side panel.

All gone now, 5 nice speakers and 4 tweeters, sounds nice, but still not to modern ICE standards.

Digressing slightly, when I had a previous stereo fitted I also had a 300w subwoofer mounted under the front passenger seat, but I suffered from bass vibrations, which I assumed was the air movement making something rattle, but I then noticed the radio fitter hadn't fixed the subwoofer down to the floor, now it has been screwed down and the vibrations have ceased it was the woofer itself moving, the sound is perfect now. No unnecessary vibrations, I can turn the sound up high without that annoying buzzing.

No speakers in the front doors, just the crappy 4" things under the dash and 4" speakers in the rear passenger door cards and a relatively mahoosive (6") in the rear side panel.

That's the same spec as mine! Was hoping to replace with direct-swap parts, if you know of any?!

That's the same spec as mine! Was hoping to replace with direct-swap parts, if you know of any?!

Bearing in mind I'm not in the UK, when I asked that same question, folks just looked at me strange, 4" good quality, err, no.

but there maybe some new technology stuff we don't have, but I doubt it somehow.

my 4" 4way sound ok for what they cost if you get some nice ones they would be great. the 4 way means the speakers seperate the sound to get the best from the size speaker so yiou have the larger speaker doing the bass and the smaller ones doing mid and high range.
mine are just sony 4 way like these. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XS-V1342A-45-Watt-4-Way-Speaker/dp/B000EDRAR4
i just got rid of the plactic crap as they had grills.

my 4" 4way sound ok for what they cost if you get some nice ones they would be great. the 4 way means the speakers seperate the sound to get the best from the size speaker so yiou have the larger speaker doing the bass and the smaller ones doing mid and high range.
mine are just sony 4 way like these. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XS-V1342A-45-Watt-4-Way-Speaker/dp/B000EDRAR4
i just got rid of the plactic crap as they had grills.

Great, thanks Stu! Were these just a direct swap for the standard lower-dash mounted ones? What about the rear doors (they have a different 3-point mounting on mine)?

I am fairly sure they were a direct swap on the fronts. the rear was a nightmare. i ended up cutting the outer of the oe speaker off (plastic) and mounting the new speaker in it. there was not the depth or the hole was to small for the magnet if i remeber so had to space out. will try and take a picture they have no covers and are ok. need finishing off but my freind that was going to do it in wood left so never did it.

I used Vibe 4" for the front and larger 5.25" (I think) for the rear doors. The rears needed installing with a grinder but as the metalwork is behind the door card it looks fine once it's back together. Don't forget that spacers are easily available on eBay if you need them.

Vibe have orange metal cones which I used in my defender challenge truck. They seem ok in water as long as the level is below the head unit :)

Halfords sell Vibe so you could pop in to have a look/listen locally.

+1 for wot Chas said. Modest speakers are easy to fit and can be augmented with one of the flat underseat subs. That is on my todo list after I've done all of the mechanical work and upgrades.

Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back