Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DIY 270° Awning. To keep me busy during winter....

nice. I've often wondered about some kind of system like this to store roof tents when not in use. You must have a nice high shed.

Awnings looking nice too. What are you going to do about the cover? Make it yourself or have it made up?

yes 2,6 m high
I'll make the cover myself in 450gr/m² reinforced pvc.

a few years ago, I quickly needed a roof rack for the tent, so I welded some thick alu bars together and bolted alu 60x30mm profiles on it + some plywood (which has to be replaced with something permanent). It looks like a bodge job but it's very strong and not too heavy. I only had to buy the profiles and I'm still very happy with my 100 euro roofrack.
It will make a good base for the awning and the suggestion from GOK to store the poles inside the beams of the awning got me thinking. The load bars are the ideal spot to store the poles of the awning. thanks GOK!
some pictures :
the load bars will look better when I put some black satin epoxy on them
DSCN3017-1999.jpg

plywood is not very waterresistant. will be replaced, suggestions welcome !
DSCN3016-1999.jpg

the profiles are big enough to slide some poles in.
DSCN3015-1999.jpg

test fitted the awning together with the rtt
DSCN3018-1999.jpg
DSCN3019-1999.jpg
DSCN3020-1999.jpg
DSCN3021-1999.jpg
DSCN3022-1999.jpg

I was quite happy with the test and started fabricating the supports. I still have a small stock of 80x10mm flat alu bar.
DSCN3023-1199.jpg

cutting with the festool plunge saw is a breeze.
Welding with up to 200 amps is very HOT! the shiny alu works like a mirror and reflected a lot of heat towards my hand, so I had to put on an extra glove on top of the other.

Last edited:
Impressive trucks. :cool: I recall the thread with the turbo truck. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Frankly I think this is one of the most impressive things I have seen made on here. Staggering effort. Sure I make stuff that I could buy, but in terms of tackling something like this, I'd have reached for the Visa by now.

Well done. Looking forward to see it up.

Didn't have much time to get on with the build and it was a bit chilly to work outside.
nevertheless a small update:
first fitting of the canvas to the frame :
DSCN3048-1199.jpg
DSCN3049-1199.jpg

starting to look good
DSCN3050-1199.jpg

I'm still on the lookout for a quick & simple system to compress it nicely when folded. It's a bit bulky right now. maybe just some simple belts with buckles or something with velcro.
It will look tidier when it's fixed to the baseplate and the excess material is trimmed off.

DSCN3051-1199.jpg
DSCN3052-1199.jpg

no poles needed when there is no wind
DSCN3053-1199.jpg
DSCN3054-1199.jpg
DSCN3055-1199.jpg

I'm happy with the way the canvas fits. Time to glue things together

back to the kitchen floor
DSCN3059-1199.jpg

DSCN3058-1199.jpg

very easy job with this glue. I once glued a cover for a winch with this glue and after 10 years the seams are as strong as new.
DSCN3061-1199.jpg

alu strip with rivnuts to attach the canvas to the back of the baseplate
DSCN3062-1199.jpg

That’s coming on nicely Wout. The Batwing has straps with plastic snap together adjustable buckles at 4 places along its length inside the zip cover.

I also believe there’s good ways and not so good ways to fold them up.

quick update :
finally got round to make a cover.
DSCN3109-1199.jpg

DSCN3110-1199.jpg

DSCN3113-1199.jpg

I fitted 2 velcro buckle straps with which everything is nicely compressed.
The cover has 9 small bungee loops which hook onto the screws that hold the canvans on the main rail.
Didn't have the opportunity to go camping yet; the weather was just too foul with heavy rains and thunderstorms all night, so I decided to stay in our cottage next to the fireplace with the cat on my lap and something nice to drink.
grimbergen_blond.jpg

Great job there Fireout. I’m in the process of a similar build with only having to fabricate L brackets for the ready made roof rails.

Can I ask how wide is the roof top tent and did you have to offset it to one side for the awning?

Thanks

roof tent is 140 cm wide and I offset it about 7 or 8 cm

Back