Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DIY load guard for my 95

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Well it seemed nigh on impossible to source a decent load guard for a Colorado so I thought I will have a go at making one myself.

I've never welded before in my life. I managed to pick up an arc welder off ebay for around £20 including everything I needed like rods etc.

IMG_2726.JPG

I made up a frame (from 20mmx20mmx2mm Box) and got some weld mesh and cut it to fit:

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

I made up the brackets from some flat bar that I bent to shape...on the pavement :mrgreen:

IMG_3110.JPG

Whilst my welding aint pretty I'm happy with the results! Its pretty strong too. I also put together a triple jerry can holder and will take some pics when I get a chance.

Oh yes I also sprayed it with some plasti-dip (great stuff that) to give it a 'professional' look :?

Next is a packing system, and wiring up the 500w Inverter.

Well done!! Much more satisfying than spending lots of moolah!!

Thanks!

Yes it was satisfying in the end. But given the opportunity I would rather have spent £200 if I'd have know what a rigmarole it would be :lol:

I'd say that was pretty good darn effort for a first time. And with a stick too! I have the same buzz box as that. Couple of bits for you
Save up £40 and buy a Parweld auto darkening helmet, it will change your life if using a stick.
Get some anti spatter spray and give things a squirt before welding. It stops the crap sticking to your work
Just have a look at you grinder. It's looks like you have the disc on upside down. The writing should be the other way up (generally) OK difficult to see in the pic and actually difficult to get it wrong in reality, but you do need to mount these things properly. The nut looks to be sitting oddly and is also upside down. On a thicker disc, the raised shoulder on the outer flange does NOT go inside the disc.
Don't try to use too thin a rod. 1.6 mm on a stick's a nightmare. 2mm seem to work pretty well or 2.5 Are you using 3.2 there?
When welding mesh, try to dig into the box section and then wash up over onto the wire once the arc is steady
Check out http://www.mig_welding.co.uk for fantastic support on all welding issues and equipment
Do yourself a favour and get a professional electrode holder to replace the Machine Mart one. They are only about £6 - seriously, what a difference (get a 400 amp one)
Remember to clear the mill-scale off the weld area first. OK not so critical on a stick, but better contact, better arc, better weld.
Great effort. Bumpers next?

Chris

Chris said:
It's looks like you have the disc on upside down.
:oops: :oops: Well I live and learn! As you can probably guess I never used a grinder either :lol: :lol: ok maybe at school but that was ages ago

The raised shoulder is definitely facing in. I just assumed thats how it went :D The disc never felt right and didnt like too much pressure. Also the centre metal part of the discs got separated after a while. Guess that is why :oops:

Yes I think thats a 3.2 that is in the pic. But I found 2mm was much better after a while. I sort of learnt as I went along so was experimenting on the size.

Bumper? not a chance!!! I think this is as far as my skills go.

Thanks for the tips. invaluable.

You're welcome. Always folk around to help out. Stick with it. I started in exactly the same place as you only a year ago and now look what I'm up to! Stick a MIG on your Christmas list.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done, Kevin! That definitely qualifies as boldly taking the plunge!
Looks like a nice cheap toy to play around with :mrgreen:

looking good - I hope to try the same soon, with my Arc stick welder!
then maybe i might embark on rock-sliders - IF a 120amp arc welder is man enough for that?

Depends on the steel thickness of course Andy. But you can always double pass as long as you clean the weld thoroughly in between. And you can weld from both sides too. 120amp is not that big in terms of MMA. You might get a 3mm rod to work. Now that I have a 3 pin round socket on my DB in the garage, I may look for a bigger stick. Maybe even an inverter. I like stick, it's very satisfying I think. But mine is only 115 amp at best and not got the whoomph really. Needs bigger rod capability for bigger fabrications.

Chris

Nice job Kev - bloomin impressed with that mate. Weld done ;-)

Great job Kevin.

One thought, you may fiind that if you don't have anything pushing against the mesh it can be noisey so it is often worth putting a central strut in as extra support for the mesh.

Back