Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

DIY roof bars ...

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
i've been wanting a pair of roof bars for my truck ... but didn't wanna pay hellfrauds prices so decided to make my own

i found some gutter clamps in the shed ... and a couple of long bits of 1.75" (2.5mm wall) box section ..

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

james-c said:
Looks good! Where did you get the gutter clamps from?

had an old volvo alluminium roofrack that had it's clamps on it ...

Hi Carl,

They look good, but may I offer a word of caution.
If you have an appreciable load on the roof bars, I would be very thoughtful about hitting the brake pedal.
I see little chance of you bending the roof bars, :thumbup: but I could see the clamps distorting and possibly "letting go" under enthusiastic braking.

Gra.

Graham said:
Hi Carl,

If you have an appreciable load on the roof bars, I would be very thoughtful about hitting the brake pedal.
I see little chance of you bending the roof bars, :thumbup: but I could see the clamps distorting and possibly "letting go" under enthusiastic braking.

Gra.

Thanks for the advice Graham :thumbup: .. i tend not to brake quite so enthusiastically though . brake disks don't like it very much ...

Red Oktober said:
Graham said:
Hi Carl,

Gra.

Thanks for the advice Graham :thumbup: .. i tend not to brake quite so enthusiastically though . brake disks don't like it very much ...
Hi Carl,

What I mean is, some times you may not have a choice about hitting the brake pedal, if some jerk in front does the unexpected.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back