Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do I have LSD diff in the front?

Draft Horse

Country Flag
portugal
Hi guys! Quick question.
I'm changing the oils on my 1997 KZJ95, and I did the test to figure out if I have a LSD diff in the back. I jack up the back and spin by hand one of the wheels and indeed, both turned the same way, so that means I have LSD in the back.
Now, my spare jack from my gf car won't go high enough for the front wheels and I don't want to make anything stupid and dangerous so I decided not to do the same trick.
I'm pretty sure the front does not have LSD but maybe you guy may tell me right.
Thank you!

If you do, it'll be the only one ever made. No LSD in the front.

Definately not on the front. Back had LSD in some markets' models (Australia for example)

Good to know.
Supposedly the rear diff should have a sticker or something to warn about the LSD existence, but I see nothing on mine, thats why I did the test.
So I'm going to grab myself a couple of LSD oil bottles for the rear and a couple of normal oil for the front.

Since we're on the topic, I can only find the correct viscosity spec stated in the manual with mineral oils, either SAE 90 or 80w90, but for synthetic I can only find 75w90 and I can't find anywhere online for 90 or 80w90 synthetic.
Is the 75w90 synthetic suposed to replace the 80w90 mineral?

Last edited:
Mine has no LSD indication on it either - I'm guessing after 21 years it has fallen off or something. Would be worth checking on a manufacturers site for recommendations for your vehicle - here in Australia most have a facility where you can enter your VIN or rego and it will list the lubes you need for your car.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I believe that the rear axle either has a lockable diff or an LSD. If it has a diff lock, there will be aluminium bodied actuator on the casing near where the prop shaft joins. If no difflock actuator is fitted, then it has an LSD (unless the actuator has been removed and a blanking plate fitted but that should be obvious). As you already said, LSD needs special oil.

Attachments

• 9EDF8E2E-14BF-45F9-ACB5-524232F57633.png
    9EDF8E2E-14BF-45F9-ACB5-524232F57633.png
    991.5 KB · Views: 36
Back