Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do you think this will buff out?

Nope, I'll defend her till the end.. (which is about now I guess)

Nala in her glory days :icon-cool:
I'm sure it's a wrench when you've been through a lot together. :cry:

Hi guys. Me again

Start motor correctly identified (realyl this time)
Unbolted to get a good look at it and make sure I can get a proper connection with my jumper leads
Cog that makes everything turn identified..

Plan is to bolt my 35mm welders cable leads that I used to connect the leisure battery to the inverter, to the starter motor + and - terminals. this will give a much much better connection than my jumper leads

Positive terminal on the top side, negative on the under side

Problem. I cannot find the connector where I would short circuit the motor to trigger the starting process
Fom TOYO DIY, which part is it? : http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1998_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_HDJ80L-GCMEX_1904.2.html?hl=28226A
I can't find any references to starting the motor, just lots about how to refurb them (http://www.george4wd.taskled.com/starter.html)

This is the last step before I start her up and start with getting rid of the chassis so please drop me a line. Thanks :)

Matt, I told you the other day. It's the small grey plug with the single blade contact inside. This is the one that you said had three wires - on the alternator!!! There's a big feed into the bottom of the starter, then a link cable from the body to the bean can on the top and also a single grey plug. The earth is the actual body of the motor.

So, should be jump to battery and rubber covered post on the motor then jump from battery to body earth then a smaller split feed from the rubber covered terminal to the grey plug. That fires the solenoid electro magnet. That drags the plunger it to push the pinion out. As it plunges, it closes the main contacts inside to let the power flow into the motor. You can make it spin and make it plunge independently. What you want is both at the same time.

I think..
C

Roger that. Will try tomorrow after work
Thanks for bearing wit hme, painful as it is! I can replace BEB's and rebuild an axled but not start an engine :( Go figure

Almost Kamaal
OK, so good progress. I had quite a lot of fun figuring out what was wired to what and trying to make proper connections using the leads I had.
End result is : batteries joined using crimped welders cable in series to make 24V. (All other connections using the vehicle's joining terminal etc still produced 12V on the starter)
Positive run from the 2nd battery so 24V, touched to the little connector lead as Chris described on the starter motor
The starter motor turned, the fan started up, a puff of smoke from the exhaust outlet but i think one of my batteries is lacking juice, even though I get 24+v measured
So, tonight charge the battery and then home-n-pray! Looks good though, I didn't hear anything that sounded like it was pushing the wrong way
For those who haven't done this and were worried the engine would behave violently (like I was), it all sounds and behaves just like it does when you start it normally.. It all sounds pretty straight forward but it's been a %$£$"erd working with it where parts were mangled etc. the chassis is bent at least half a foot over!

Next step : engine hoist..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally a good day working (dismantling) the truck
Got her started today!!!!
Have a listen and please let me know if she sounds ok. Started instantly, ran fine. Cut out as soon as I removed power from the fuel shut off solenoid ;)

Uploading video now..

Back