Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do you think this will buff out?

Blerry 'ell.

You and Ben got a thing for upside down malarkey.

Glad your OK, and walking.

Gra.

Eish, what a night. Took quite some effort to get the front prop off given that the front steering parts are mangled. Luckily I'm weighing in at 70kgs now after too much cycling so operating anything heavier than a pencil is tough going.

So, front prop off. Check
Rear prop off. Check
Rear axle on stands (and later the chassis on the axle after much shoving, hitting hands, getting cut by broken glass and metal shards. oh joy it was tonight!)
Attached jumper leads to what looked like the right places
A quick call to Chris to make sure I hadn't attached the jumper leads to my ears and..
Nothing.
Argh.

So, I'm pretty sure first thing I am missing is 24V power. Of course my 2 multi meters are at home ie not where the truck is so I'll have to go back but before I do, some sanity checks please

1) This is the alternator as Dan pointed out.
17.JPG

2) The "positive and negative thick cable connector"
I'm trying to work out how to connect the jumper leads using what I have which is : a standalone starter battery and my truck with it's 2 starter batteries in the truck
Should I run the standalone linked to the other battery in my other red truck in series, then to one of the positive and negative terminals on the "positive and negative thick cable connector"?
Or? In my frustration I managed to rip one of the jumper lead connectors off. They're cheap so now i know how cheap looking at what must be 8mm cable if that
I plan on crimping the end to a crimp lug and bolting it straight on to ge a good connection
Ideas welcome..
19.JPG

5) The other side of the process. Stopping the engine.
I plan on letting the engine run on the fuel inside the fuel filter and recording it on my phone to show that it runs :)
Is it simpler to just let it run till the fuel in the diesel filter runs out given that it is detached from the fuel tank
or
I really need a backup plan to cut it out at a seconds notice
* the radiator is detached so it's running with no cooling (just the fan that'll be whizzing around)

No, I have no idea yet where the fuel solenoid is or what to do with it - do I need to?
20.JPG

Next step will be to get the engine, autobox and gearbox off the chassis so the chassi scan be cut up and removed
Any suggestions on order or dismantling? Assume :
- Unbolt engine mounts
- Lift using? engine crane?
- Cut up chassis
- Roll axles away
- Place engine on? Floor? Trolley?

Thanks for the help. It's been a bruising day! Going to lick my wounds..

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 116
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I think that's the alternator not the starter motor. I'm unsure where the starter is on a diesel sorry.

Blinking ek, so glad you are ok, so sorry to see Nala depart in this way, but at least she saved your life.

Actually I think it's in your last picture in the bottom right hand corner with the blue stripe around its middle and the white sticker.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think that's the alternator not the starter motor. I'm unsure where the starter is on a diesel sorry.
Wow, looks like you're very right there. Thanks Dan. I googled a picture of it. It's on the other side of the motor.. A more sealed unit.. Back to the drawing board. :wtf:

And I think you'll be okay to just start it with one battery as long as is in decent condition, although they have two they are still 12v, they just have two cheaper batteries instead of one expensive one to give you enough oomph to start the diesel engine (also sorry for the separate posts, my internet is being problematic).

MATT. WTF. The alternator? What are you doing Man? Did I teach you nothing? Next time, Skype me so that we can make sure you don't stick your **** up the exhaust!

Are you sure you didn't bang your head?

It's under the oil filter. Clue.

Sheesh.

C

Dan, they are NOT 12 volt. These are 24 volt start. Yours is a Petrol I think? 12v may actually do it but if it doesn't fire straight away which it might not (doofus in charge) then it'll need the full beans of both batteries.

Chris

Sorry for my misinformation! Are all the diesels 24v?

The 1HD-T engined HDJ 80s are, yes. Some people convert them to 12v start which involved swapping the starter motor and a quick wiring change.

Chris

Blimey Matt, lucky escape. Glad you got out with just a few scratches. It is sad to see a truck you love so much sent to the scrap man but at least you can say if it wasnt for Nala, things might have been totally different.

Oh I don't know... all this praise for a 80, which in my opinion tried to kill him by driving off the road... Christine anyone???

Oh I don't know... all this praise for a 80, which in my opinion tried to kill him by driving off the road... Christine anyone???
I was waiting for this. Simple : Blame the driver :) No way Nala is getting the blame for this one!

MATT. WTF. The alternator? What are you doing Man? Did I teach you nothing? Next time, Skype me so that we can make sure you don't stick your **** up the exhaust!

Are you sure you didn't bang your head?

It's under the oil filter. Clue.

Sheesh.

C

I did actually - hit my head, not the other thing! :p Found it in the pics.. Going to make it start tomorrow night.. Doh. :oops::?

Bloody hell Matt! :shock:

When Lorien mentioned on facebook that you'd written it off I didn't think you'd have rolled it off a cliff. :wtf:

Glad your OK dude. :thumbup:

Back