Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do you work with gloves?

warrenpfo

Do you work with gloves?

After a weekend of swapping out the AHC on my 100 with OME springs and shocks my hands look like they have gone 5 rounds with a cat and are bruised, cut and scrapped with the left over grease and dirt still in the small cracks and corners of my nails and wounds on my knuckles etc.

I like to work with bare hands as I get a “feeling” for what I am doing and find that it helps when lying on your back under a car with your hands up in the engine bay trying to grab that small nut or bolt.

However working in an office environment meeting clients and candidate all day means I have to give some thought to my presentation and so think a good set of gloves is in order.

I have tried nitride gloves which always seem to catch on something and rip or tear and then in the cold they do not keep your hands warm and if you sweat in them they get even colder.

Do most of you work with gloves or bare hands and what is best to remove all the dirt after a day’s hard work, or can you recommend a good pair of gloves to do general mechanics work with.

First thing I do whan I open the garage door, is put on barrier cream. Without fail. I have tried lots ( I get a lot of samples sent to me) and the best ever is Rozalex Dri-guard. These foam types are rubbish. Get some original Rozalex. Then I put nitrile gloves on once that's dry. I keep a small tub of Roz in the truck too for nay field repairs plus some Swarfega too. Well having the hot water system helps there as well.

Always glove up. And as I am sitting watching telly or whatever, I stick some hand cream on - Neutrogena or something like that.

Chris

I use either disposable latex type gloves that I get in a box load, or for bigger jobs the nitrile coated ones. Never used to bother, but getting your hands clean afterwards is always a pain it you don't use gloves.

Disposable: http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Dispo...isposable-Gloves---Green-Lightly-Powdered.htm
Nitrile Loads to choose from here:
http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Hand-Protection/Nitrile-Coated-Gloves.htm
Never had a issues with feeling either, although my wife may have a different opinion :laughing-rolling:

....However working in an office environment meeting clients and candidate all day means I have to give some thought to my presentation and so think a good set of gloves is in order.....
How about these?

Alternatively, I know these are slightly more expensive but these should impress the clients.

Ooh I can feel group buy coming on. Can I put you down for a dozen pairs Paul? They come with elastic to go up your sleeve and down the other side too! Nice.

C

I find gloves very handy to put on when your hands are messy and you need to turn the steering wheel or something in the middle of a job :p

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I find gloves very handy to put on when your hands are messy and you need to turn the steering wheel or something in the middle of a job :p

Excellent idea - lateral thinking :icon-smile:

would also be useful for grabbing a sandwich with messy hands

When I am doing hubs, I put two pairs on. Then I can pull of the horrid greasy ones and still have protection.

Chris

Don't worry Warren,

I have been both ends of the spectrum

Just think, when you have done all the work you can do like I do, and join the other half for a nail and hand manicure.
Her gets her lovely hands and nails done every week, I go with here every second week.
Sure, it feels strange at first, but when some lovely little girl is massaging your hands, then sorting your nails out, I tell you,,,,
Yo can get used to it !

Gra

Sorry Gra, but you need to get back to the western world. China is making you go all wierd :laughing-rolling:

Why not wear a pair of white gloves to the office and act a bit eccentric, maybe grab your crotch from time to time? Would be easier than faffing with all the other gloves and creams etc.

I used to wear gloves but I get through a box so quickly, I think my money is better spent on Swarfega. Also my work jeans are great if you just want to remove the worst of the oil/grease/black goo from your hands.

I have tried the latex and nitrile gloves, but end up going back to bare hands, especially with intricate work. I'd rather try look after the paws as I only have 2, but they all seem to tear too easily. If you could have a thicker latex glove, instead of the standard, I would use them.
But as wreen said, I do like to feel what I'm working with and feel kinda proud of my not mushy soft and slightly calloused hands!

I never wear gloves when working on my truck, and after a weekend of working on it there now quite oil stained and cut and scratched. :icon-rolleyes:

Good job i work on a building site and not in an office! :icon-cool:

Like needing to stop and take more photo's. :whistle:

Not every office job is like that Ben, I wear a hoody to my office job and dirty cuts and finger nails are looked up to (although SWMBO disagrees). It's a way of letting the design "engineers" know you are a real engineer and that they should listen to you when you get talk about gears, bearings and motors etc.

Sorry, I must be old school. No glove for me……

No gloves here either ..... but brake cleaner from a spray can is is a great remover of grease and the like

I use nitrile gloves
get through several pairs on some jobs

a really gentle and effective hand cleaner is bicarbonate of soda and some freshly squeezed lemon juice and a bit of liquid soap.

I use nitrile gloves
get through several pairs on some jobs

a really gentle and effective hand cleaner is bicarbonate of soda and some freshly squeezed lemon juice and a bit of liquid soap.
Beats the fairy washing liquid and sugar I guess,

I remember the early days, and there wasn't any thing better than your mate pouring some petrol over your hands while you worked the oil and grease off.

Gra.

Back