Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Do you work with gloves?

Important issue here is the AHC fluid. It really kills your skin.

I tried without gloves - the day after, my hands looked like pancakes left to dry for 2 days, then broken into the shape of hands - all cracked and opened up here and there. Could even see the blueberry jam stuffing.

Humans are amazing things, building powerstations, transport systems, space craft, submarines, you name it, it's amazing.
But creating a garment that fits the human hand seems beyond them !
I very rarely wear gloves other than as part of the 'fire kit' and even they dont fit.

Infact the person who came up with the phrase 'fits like a glove' must have had them custom made.
'Fits like a glove' to me means: Too tight across the hand: Too baggy: Too long on the finger: Too short on the finger: Too thick to feel anything: Too thin to be of any use: To warm to wear: you get the idea !

The only gloves I've ever had that fitted were actually mitts (fingerless cycling mitts).
Had a pair of gloves that fitted for a little while, until after a couple of wears they managed to grow.

Gloves:angry-screaming:

carl never wears anything gogles gloves no safty gear at all but he should really

Human skin is an incredible thing. Fantastic at repairing itself, keeping out bacteria - pretty good at keeping your insides - well, inside basically. It is under constant attack and through shedding its outer layers it lasts us a lifetime. It's greatest threat? Its owner. Whilst hugely resilient, there are circumstances where it just can't cope. Short exposure to most stuff is OK, but long term, repeated exposure takes its toll. You see, getting it dirty isn't the only problem. It can stand a good deal of that. It's cleaning it that is one of the worst things. Please please don't use brake cleaner, toluene, petrol or whatever. Your hands might be clean, but what you have also done is removed the essential fatty oils from your skin too. Think of this as being like Waxoyl. It stops the bad stuff getting in. Once it gets past that defence and on into the skin, trust me you'll be in a different place regards your opinion. OK you've done this for 20 years and had no problems, well you know you're probably right. Maybe you just haven't hit the right combination yet. Maybe you never will.

Have a look at some of these http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=qvFhUKqMIOmn0QXVi4C4Ag

And remember, the dirtier your hands are the more you have to clean them, and that's where much of the problem lies. Use an after work cream. Not something from Avon, but something to protect and replace what you have scrubbed off in the sink. Working on cars without gloves and proper skin care is not macho, it's frankly stupid. Love your skin.

Dr Chris

Come, come, Chris... I'll bet you a pound to a penny that none of those pics are from Toluene, Petrol or brake fluid exposure! sensationalism sir, sensationalism!! :eusa-naughty:

You do however make a very, very good point.:clap:

Well you have to remember what I do for a living and where I have worked and the industries that I have covered. So I don't think you should bet more than that pound fella. Dermatitis is the best you can hope for. You want to wash your skin with toluene, you'll get far worse I can assure you.

How about skin cancer from mineral motor oil then? I have to work with people who have become sensitised to these substances. We have an employee who ended up in A&E only this week after exposure to some substance that they have become sensitised to. Fortunately we had someone with an Epi-pen who gave them insulin. It's a life changer, really. And many of these substances enter through the skin. It's not always the original substance, either, that you become sensitive to.

It's absolutely not being sensationalist. However, I am glad that you appreciate the point.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On that point, now where can I get some Rozalex from then Chris? Never heard of the stuff and my local motor factor looked at me, like I was asking him for Kopi Luwak!

Am pretty certain hair dressers get some pretty nasty nerve damage too from the low molecular weight detergents like slf and sls in the so called nice shampoos...

pity more of them dont wear gloves.

Adrian, actually hair salons are one of the highest sufferers of contact dermatitis. So much so that there have been HSE campaigns to try and tackle it.

OK, Dri guard. It's a pink pasty-cream that essentially blocks up your skin to stop stuff getting in there. When you come to wash off, it is washed out leaving the hands cleaned. Use enough to cover your skin, up your nails and cuticles. It dries quickly and leave your hands feeling normal. Now if you put it on in the morning and spend all day working, washing off at night, don't expect a miracle. It's worth stopping every so often when you have a tea and a fag to clean off and put some more on. One small tub will last me around 3 to 5 months.

This is the stuff but PLEASE don't pay that much for it. You will find it in local safety suppliers or hardware stores. Search e-bay too. It's common stuff. This is not the water resistant version - oil proof etc, of course, but if out in the rain, you'll effectively wash it off. Great in the truck even if you have to change a wheel, slap it on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROZALEX-Dri...TAFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348602528&sr=8-1

Chris

Of course the best way is to get someone to do the work for you whilst you drink tea! As along as you don't fall over, your hands will be lovely and soft. Job done. But where's the fun in that?

Hmmm, dreaming now ......

Chris

Mechanix gloves, unless it's so fiddly that I need the extra feel of bare skin (ooooh Matron!).

Back