Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Does anyone run there 2.4 on Bio

JimmyLJ71

Thinking of running my LJ71 on bio diesel, been on the bio diesel section, they say it is ok to put straight in the tank.

There is a local guy that supplies: "Bio Diesel to full EN14214 specification"
Does anyone already run there LJ on Bio?

Any problems?

theres a place near me that sells bio, but ive not run mine on it as ive heard a few horror stories about people having problems as a result of the bio not being made properly, it was to do with incorrect levels of each chemical being added. :thumbdown:

hence why im sticking to new vegetable oil, as i know why my truck runs very well on it. it runs better on veg when the weather is warm than it ever does on diesel.

my mate has done 10,000miles in the last year running on veg in his 2.4 hi-lux, and so far no problems! :thumbup:

Gotta say after doing a few trips with sai Ben & the veg powered bluebottle, it runs just fine for him :cool:

When you say vegetable oil.....are you buying the stuff used for cooking and mixing it with diesel?

Pete

And it works ok?

Can you tell any difference ie smoke,smell etc

Any difference in performance?

Cant say I fancy using old oil and filtering it, I know the new stuff is more expensive, but its cheaper than diesel, and I assume that as long as a log and some sort of processing happens the hmrc should be happyish.

Pete.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
workes very well, apart from if its very cold, and ther percentage of veg to diesel is too high.

my truck runs better on veg than derv and there is a noticeable improvement in performance, it seems to tick over a lot quiter and sounds smoother.

no more smoke than derv, in fact id say less especially under acceleration.

it definitely smells, but i dont mind it.

i keep a diary in the truck with columns for date, mileage, diesel in litres, and veg in litres, as this is something you need to do to avoid finding yourself in trouble if you ever get pulled by VOSA or a clued up traffic cop.

ok you might on average only save 40p a litre using veg than diesel, but when youve got a 90litre tank and your doing a lot of miles it soon adds up.

if you start using it make sure you change your fuel filter after the first 500-1000miles as the veg will clean all the crap out of your fuel lines very quickly, but ive found this is only when you first start using it, then there clean. :thumbup:

Had a little read up.

Seems that straight cooking oil may emulsify?

Bio fuel seems to be cooking oil which is strained, then has a couple of chemistry bits done to it in order to stop it emulsifying.

Does it give a similar mpg compared to diesel?

Certainly plenty of diesels running on it, not sure if I've got the nerve!

Pete

Waxing - Depends on the oil, best straight veg oil appears to be rapeseed has a low wax point compared to many of the other oils.

Do some research on dual tank set ups as well, start on diesel switch to veg when hot, switch back to diesel for shutdown.

Producinng bio diesel not too hard either, can provide some good links if you want.

I have found 80s run up to 75% svo without problem. Runs smoother and quieter, seems to pull better too, and does not have that hesitation above 3000 rpm.

Back