Dog guard and rear boot storage system build

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
well got the steel.... only taken me 6 months to get round to ordering it

so made a start on boot-storage system last night for my Colorado

starting off with a dog-guard - done the bottom part, tack-welded for now
I am going to have to make the top-part (i.e. above level of back row seat tops) of the mesh dog-guard section hinged or removable - so will need a to make an exterior frame,
then a removable or hinged frame within this with weldmesh on it,
this is so i can get skis in the back in winter! skis are 180cm long an extended into back seat area of the vehcile.
So currently thinking of ideas for that.

for main boot storage, i was thinking of a frame, ply top, then plastic boxes on wheels as storage pods underneath this.
but coming round to the idea of two boxes on drawer runners - as it is proving difficult to find plastic boxes the right dimensions i want
I am going to leave plastic trim in place and carpet etc

starter pic, yes... not all angles right on 90 deg...

bootstorage1.jpg

Good idea for the hinged part of the dog guard! All my long stuff has to go on the roof now :(

I havent posted about the storage system I made yet, as its not quite finished. What I did was use some leftover angle and bar to make a frame that bolts to where the 3rd row seats bolt into:
IMG_3168.JPG

(I've since added two sections of steel bar running front to back as the MDF was sagging a bit in the middle with heavy tools and fridge on top. I have still to buy the boxes that will slide under the platform but I think there are some Really Useful ones that are just right (from what I measured at staples)

I've screwed MDF onto this platform to form a 2nd platform unsupported by steel for light items like sleeping bags. Not pretty but does the job..

Keen to see how yours turns out

Done a bit more on the guard tonight
fits perfectly in car!
decided i am going to mesh the entire top part, and panel the bottom part with ply, but have a wee door on the drivers side, so i can lower the 1/3 split seat and to get skis in and other long items
before i weld on the mesh, i am going to make some holders for my waffle boards, on the upper part of the guard
so that lower edge of the waffle boards are flush with horizontal bar in middle of the guard

boot2.jpg

last night I added the waffleboard hangers, and added some more weld to joints and started to grind down the welds

i am sure the bottom and top edges are straighter than the camera shows on the pic..
boot3.jpg

a waffleboard fits perfectly - will either make some clever clamp to fix them on the hangers, or tie them on!
boot4.jpg

next step - grind the welds more, and weld on the weldmesh

and going to order some of these plastic "end plugs" to stick on end of exposed box section and use as "feet" when i make the drawer system
http://www.bpfittings.co.uk/pc/20x20mm- ... 9p1453.htm

look smart

Thats taking shape nicely - good idea on the waffle board pegs :thumbup:

ordered 2pairs of drawer "runners" yesterday at about 13.30 from http://www.sdslondon.co.uk 700mm ones, with ball-cage runners - rated about 45kg. and come with fixing screws
and courier just dropped them off at 12.15 -
not bad under 23 hours from placing order and delivered to NE Scotland - almost teleportation

Thanks for pics of your update Kevin (ignat) - i don't have those 3rd row seat attachment points.... my seats (in attic) bolted to floor only....
they would have been usefull!

so you have a second deck made out of MDF? the lightweight shelf - how did you make this - MDF side panels? with a shelf on top,
so you now have 3 levels of storage - drawers bottom, then shelf supported by steel, then another wooded one above that.

i might make a similar - easily removable & light-weight shelf system to go above drawers, usefull for travelling when no dogs in the back - dont think they would fit or like to go in drawers!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice :thumbup: I do enjoy all the different interpritations we all have of stowing our gear :D

AndyCook said:
last night I added the waffleboard hangers

a waffleboard fits perfectly - will either make some clever clamp to fix them on the hangers, or tie them on!

boot4.jpg
I'd just use a bungee from one side to the other, then you can trap other things under the bungee as well :thumbup: Another thought would be to put an edged shelve under the waffles to catch any mud/drips after use :)

"Another thought would be to put an edged shelve under the waffles to catch any mud/drips after use :)"

i had thought about muddy boards! - and decided I would probably shove them in the huge nylon sacks i currently store them in, if they are covered in mud/snow - which is what i have done in past, then clean/dry them later on, then put back
the rack is to hang them - before they get used :lol:

but a mud/water catching shelf is an intereting idea - but in practice i would probably smear everything in the boot trying to put them back on the hanger!

and it continues

mesh fitted,

next need to make the mounting bracket strips - both the front tie-down loops snapped on undoing... so need to drill them out, the passenger side one is right above brake pipes :o
so will place a shield before i drill deeper!
then weld a nut in place to hold a new bolt

boot5.jpg

Today, i finished off the Dog Guard by making attachment brackets, and later on fitting the plastic end caps to waffle boards pegs (when the postie arrived with them!)

Then started on the boot storage drawer rack - with much inspiration taken from your design in Lil'blue Chris - cheers!

Not sure if the Mutt's approve...
boot6.jpg

glueing the metal together
boot7.jpg

drawer rack so far
boot8.jpg

test fitting and end-caps fitted to the waffleboard pegs
boot9.jpg

You will need to build a ramp for the dogs to get in next. :) :)

That is taking shape nicely :) I do like the waffle board holders. I've placed an order for some of those end-caps - good idea :D

AndyCook said:
so you have a second deck made out of MDF? the lightweight shelf - how did you make this - MDF side panels? with a shelf on top,
so you now have 3 levels of storage - drawers bottom, then shelf supported by steel, then another wooded one above that.

Here's a pic of how mine is now. still need to finish it off a bit. looking for some cheap carpet to cover it all with.
Will have some long plastic boxes underneath then some bigger ones in the area next to the fridge.
IMG_0327.JPG

ignat said:
still need to finish it off a bit. looking for some cheap carpet to cover it all with
I bought some cheap carpet tiles from B&Q to cover the top of mine with I'm sure they were less than £3 each :thumbup: You can even get the glue to stick 'em down with in the same area again from memory 1L was less than £4 :thumbup:

P1010336.jpg

Looking good Andy :thumbup: :)

carpet tiles look a good option Steven
Wife wants to replace the ones in bathroom... so they may end up in the LC boot, i already have a can of carpet spray glue - good for sticking foam padding in the kayaks

i also have headlining off a subaru forester I dismantled this summer, i could also use that for the boot - covering side panels etc as it is quite robust material

Been away in Oslo all week with work,
so today cracked on with the build

nearly finished now. just need to paint the metal - dog-guard, and the plywood.
rivet the main load-bay shelf down to the drawer frame.
and finish off the drawer-ends - chequer-plate of something
and carpet tile etc the load area - temporary rug for now

today, i fitted drawer rails, made the drawers,

drawer rails going on the main frame
boot10.jpg

side-steel supports and ply panels
boot11.jpg

drawer LHS
boot12.jpg

closed
boot13.jpg

2 drawers
boot14.jpg

and closed
boot15.jpg

top panel
boot16.jpg

dog test!
boot17.jpg

Looking good Andy :thumbup:

That's a pile of work to get done in a day! I envy you :p

Get some paint on it now before it goes rusty :lol:

Top work bud. Loving that layout :thumbup:

You gonna powdercoat the frame or paint it?

Back