Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Drive Shaft maintenance

warrenpfo

I hope to drop, inspect, split and clean both drive shafts this weekend coming and just wanted to ask if anyone had done this.

I know I need to mark each shaft so that I get the splines to match back up when I put it all back together but that aside is there anything else I should watch out for and I take it moly grease for the slip joints and U joints?

I just think after 20 years a good clean and re-grease is in order as i also have a slight drive line "clunk" on slowing down and the car gearing down so just want to eliminate the shafts before i look at the gear change cable and other bits.

Perhaps a write up is in order

I did mine a fews weeks ago i just remembered where mine went to be fair some props only go one way in any way. If unsure just mark with some tipex.

when greaseing the UJ's make sure you get grease coming out of all 4 caps if it only comes out of a couple move the flange about till you get what you want.

I think 1 of my props is round the wrong way round as i feel the sliders should both be up near the transfer box but put it back as it came off.

i just used what ever was in my grease gun red s$$t always used it on hgv so must be fine for a cruiser.
stu

I know not to over-pack the slip joints with grease, it can lock them up and cause too much loading on the bearings.

The UJs should have grease pumped so that it comes through all four bearings on each, which can take a bit of pressure (and patience) to get the last one to come through.

It's best to check the UJs while the prop-shafts are off, to feel for stiffness or excessive play, before greasing up. It may be easier to get at the grease nipples when the shafts are off.

Can't tell you any more Warren, sorry.

I plan on parting the skip joints and cleaning them up properly to get shot of any old grease.

yes we were both talking about the uj's they have needle bearings that run in the caps. i did think you would be cleaning out the slidders.

Sliders should both be towards the front of the vehicle Stu.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right I have started and had a question.

Should there be rotational play in the rear diff where the rear prop bolts to it?

Let me explain....

The rear prop bolts to the rear diff by way of a round plate that is held on by a large nut. I want to say trunion but am probably wrong. Anyway my round plate as play if turned clockwise and anti clockwise not much and the play seem to be the "slack" or play in the diff.

Hope this makes sense and i will see if the FSM says anythiing.

IIRC there should be about 20 degrees of free play. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

And if done at speed rotating left and right is it ok for it to "clunk" or as the gearing should be sitting if diff oil should that absorb the impact and sound.

Basically in trying to get to the bottom of a driveline clunk when flowing down and she drops down a gear. I don't think it's the rear diff but want to make sure.

Suspension bushes, gearbox , engine mounts and U/Js all ok?

Mine clunks when I do that too. But its metal on metal contact so surely there has to be a clonk of some kind? :confusion-seeingst:

My manual truck has the exact same clunk you are on about. I have just purchased a complete set of OEM bushes from far, far away and new OEM U#J's because all 4 of mine look poorly maintained (lots of rust when I greased them). I didn't drop the props yet, but I am going to replace all four and just have done with it. If I keep them greased and don't do too much crazy off roading they will outlast the truck!

Last edited:
the play is called backlash Warren and is the clearance between the gears in the diff so you're just taking up the normal slack when you turn it back and forth. The round plate with the big nut is the pinion flange. You'd expect some noise when you bash 2 bits of metal together but can you hear it in the drivers seat over the noise of the engine(?), I doubt it. A clonk you can hear on the go is more likely to be rear prop or suspension arm bushes I think.

Thanks all I have cleaned, inspected and re-greased the rear prop shaft. Bloody hell there was loads of crappy old grease but after lots of rag and disc brake cleaner it came up spotless. I pushed all the old grease out the spiders and filled the prop up with new grease.

Just the front to do tomorrow and then move onto the other suspects.

Back