Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driving in France

i just checked my sanef account and looks like for one toll on way home we got charged too much - i.e. for a car & caravan rate
so worth checking the bill if you have a rooftent/box as sometimess this means you get charged a higher rate

sent them a message, so should get refunded

Mine arrived nextday as advertised - looks good so far ;-)

Why use toll roads?

In the many times we have driven EU roads, we very very seldom use a toll road.
Except where it really is short, cheap, and really advantageous.
Apart from that, towing a 4 wheel caravan through France etc, is damn expensive.
There are many great A roads fro driving through France, at zero cost.

Gra.

Depends what your objective is Graham. On a longer trip with more time available we used non-toll roads once - much slower but relaxing drive and more interesting as went through towns etc,

but with only 2weeks on a trip when our objective is to camp and drive trails in the Alps we choose to shorten our driving time as much as possible so cruising at 70mph (20 mpg :( )on peage is preferable to cross france the quickest way.

Well tag does make it easier. Worked well. Most express lanes did not have a height restriction. Freaky though as you don't have to stop but it's like playing chicken with a barrier at 30kmh

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The priority in France is determined by the giveway signs and white dotted lines on the "side roads". That's the general rule but in many towns, especially the backstreets there are no signs or markings and many people pull out in front of you on your right hand side. They just tend to follow the kerb and not look to their left.

I was stopped by the Gendarmes last year. You won't get away........further up the road there was another one with a pump action shotgun presumably to blow your tyres out. They are mostly concerned with insurance and driving licence. I take the whole car file but keep copies of the log book and insurance on my person just in case the car gets stolen and you are left with nothing.

Frank

Back to breathalysers. I got stopped last week in Aveyron coming into the village we stay in. I think they were breath testing everyone, but had their own kit. Didn't ask me if I had one. We conversed for a short time, and the gendarme was so impressed with my ability to converse he switched to English. Nice chap.

I'd happily keep a couple in the car. Where in France do you buy them? I've looked in the motoring sections of various supermarkets with the warning triangles and yellow bibs but never seen them.

I got mine on eBay Rob.

Yep ebay as well.

Last time I was in france I was chatting to a Parisian friend. She was oblivious to the French road rules around breathalysers. Must be just a foreigner tax!

Halfrauds stock them too.
I used one after a rather BIG night out.
You're supposed to see a colour change in the crystals but I couldn't see any difference in the colouration, untill we got a fresh one out. I'd changed the colour of all the crystals...didn't drive that day.
:obscene-drinkingdr:

I got mine on eBay last year but they sell them at most of the petrol stations in Dover and at the Chunnel services. I've seen them for sale at most of the French services on the Autoroutes that we stopped at too.

Yep ebay as well.

Last time I was in france I was chatting to a Parisian friend. She was oblivious to the French road rules around breathalysers. Must be just a foreigner tax!
That's because round here, Parisian's are not regarded as French, none of the locals can understand them!
The kits are usually available from super markets and places like Nor Auto (halfords froggy style). Never been checked for them yet.....
Steve

Back