Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pulls to Left when Braking

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
My 120 pulls to the left under braking. I remember hearing that if it's a caliper at fault, the faulty caliper is usually the one that is the opposite side of the diving. Did I hear this correct, or is it actually the other way around that whichever side it pulls to it's that same side caliper.

Thing is I have had the drivers side caliper off now when removing the driveshaft to replace the CV boot and the calipers pistons on this drivers side caliper are fine.

I put new pads and discs all round on it last Summer and the calipers were fine then so I don't think the passenger front is sticking either but I'll open it up and check anyway when I get time.

I'm currently also replacing the drivers side front wheel bearing, it's very noisy when driving, dry bearing, but no play in the wheel so I don't think the wheel bearing is the cause of the pulling to the left.
I can't drive it at min as can't put the new wheel bearing back on yet as waiting on a steering knuckle seal to arrive.

Bushings seem ok, what else can cause this?

Toyota used to sell a caliper refurb kit.. just a fyi

I put all new pads and discs front and rear last Summer and probably only put 1000 miles on it since then if even so they haven't got enough use to show up a uneven pad wearing issue. But they look ok. When I get my wheel bearing job back together this week I'll give it another spin and see.

Its usually the inner lower piston that seizes, i look after the brakes almost religiously and the 4 piston design lends itself to easy exercise of the pistons in their bores, but finally couple of years ago at age 17 those particular pistons were getting very stiff, so bought a pair of new calipers.
If you can do without the truck for a week or so BigRed offer a refurb service by post, there may be others who do this if you don't fancy refurbing yourself...i didn't because despite re-sealing hundreds of slave cyls back in the day i've never had any success with calipers.

Remember if the OSR brake is not working properly that will give a similar pulling to the left sensation so check all corners.

Plus also get your tracking checked. This can also cause the symptoms your describing. I dont know the specifics of the front suspension setup on a 120, but also check there is no wear in the bushes. One being worn, when you brake the loading is high can push the wheel out of alignment and cause issues too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back