Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Driving in France

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I was discussing the trip to Italy this Friday with someone yesterday and they asked if I had my breathalyser for France. It was apparently passed as law last year. Much like the requirement to have a triangle, hi-vis jacket and fire extinguisher, it's something that a grumpy cop might have a problem with if he stops you.

So, according to the AA, you do need a breathalyser (which costs £8.50 from our local chemist) but there is no fine if you don't have one. There was an 11 Euro fine but that is not mandatory... Odd.

Anyone been stopped / asked for one?

[h=3]Breathalysers[/h] 1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.
October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.
January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.
So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

Its a bit of a nonsense isn't it but I have two in the glovebox just in case...

It's easier than arguing your point to a cop who probably won't speak English to you. I'll argue in Afrikaans and broken Zulu :D

Wonder when you'll be able to get fake Chinese ones of fleabay.

Stumbling around to find your fake tester to prove you're sober :think:

We have them, but have never been checked, been stopped for paper work and to blow into his bag a few times (all clear!) Paper work controls are their favourite thing, oh, and ALWAYS stop at a Stop sign, even if the road is clear - a minimum 3 seconds at least. Don't forget the driver turning from your right has priority (seen by an X roads sign)
Have fun
Steve

buy them at the first stop in france, i paid ‹€1.90 for them, buying them in the UK at £8.50each the €11 fine is cheaper :)

Cost nothing, just buy them. Save any issues later......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It was cancelled by the French some time around April / May this year.

Not needed any more, but the manufactures are perpetuating the " need breathalyzer" to sell their accumulated stocks.

Gra.

From the AA

Breathalysers
1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi steve do you mean if i am driving down the road @60/70 mph and some old boy just drives up and joins in from right in front of me without stoping and i have to give him right of way?
Sorry i'm asking this but that sounds like disaster waiting to happen, that's if i'm interpreting what you said properly.

Sorry i'm asking this but that sounds like disaster waiting to happen, that's if i'm interpreting what you said properly.

More so with your username ;)

I think it is for 4-way stops? The guy to your right has right of way. In SA it's a first-come-first-served.

Gary, that's what I posted. I find it odd that you have to carry something but there is no penalty or fine for not doing so. Having a roadside argument debate with a French policeman at 2 in the morning is not my idea of fun though.

Thanks Tony.

Hi steve do you mean if i am driving down the road @60/70 mph and some old boy just drives up and joins in from right in front of me without stoping and i have to give him right of way?

Pretty much yes! Usually in towns and villages and 50kph, but also out in the country on the D roads. Mostly 90kph. But in fairness, there is a sign before the junction - a Red triangle, with white back ground with an 'X' in it see: http://ezinearticles.com/?Giving-Wa...g-in-France-(Prioritaire-a-Droite)&id=1435591
The other thing to be aware of is crazy Brits on the wrong side of the road - happens a lot around here!
Steve

Last edited:
Sorry TP didn't spot the detail. Think they've been trying to implement for ages but keep running into issues.

My favourite is - you need to carry one unit and aren't allowed to drive if you don't have it(strictly speaking). So you go for a pub lunch, use the unit and you're below the limit because you were nice and restrained. But now you can't drive anyway as you've no breathalyser in your car (unused) :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anyone bother with one of these? http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/Sanef-Tolling/

I just got one, after promotional discount it was 5 euro I was not going to spend. Figure it's simpler to wizz by rather than faffing for card or money etc.

Last time I drove I spent about 30 minutes queuing at a tollgate while the auto lanes were empty...

Andy Cook had one for his trip to the Alps & said it was vay useful; how long did it take to come through in the post Cris?

Last edited:
I called and spoke first. If ordered (I did) before 2PM then it'll be sent out same day with 1st class mail. Optional 10 euro special delivery available. I'm leaving on Friday night so lots of time for mine to arrive.

I'm hoping to travel on mainly non-toll roads but wondered about picking up one of these for the craic in case we did venture on to them... Did they parlais frainglais??

yup - i got mine from the saneftolling uk site

very usefull, saved time at tolls - queues were never that bad, but must have saveed 30mins for whole trip
and now english schools on hols, i am sure the queues will be much bigger on main routes
also saved faff with having change or using cards,

just drive upto barrier and the device bleeps and barrier opens, some tolls you could drive up at 30 kph, without stopping and the barrier would open

charged to bank by DD

i wont drive through France again without one now! :icon-cool:

If I knew I was going next year, I'd get one at the drop of a hat but its not so likely that we will be going...

But, seeing as its transferable, howsabout I borrow yours & see how I get one with it Andy :icon-wink:

Back