Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

driving lights in oem bumper

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Whilst having a pint in the local pub beer garden the other day and looking at the cruiser in the car park thinking what needs doing next. I noticed the height of the front bumper was level with most car headlights. Ive been thinking about more lighting firepower for a while, has anyone fitted a set of lights into the bumper? They would have to look right and be in proportion, about 4" maybe, and of course be effective. Black would be nice..

I've thought about fitting some front fog lights this way into the OE bumper rather than just surface mounting them . AFAIK there was no option for factory fitted front fogs on the 80 series. I'm thinking small rectangular (to match the OE headlights), possibly LED if I can find some.

I originally thought of going with fogs, but the car park beer drinking episode got me thinking driving or even spots would be more usefull.

Piaa do a pair of 4" round lamps

Last edited:
I think they would be too low? I don't think it's really the height that would be the issue but more the distance from eye level when driving to the centre of the spots. If it's too far with very bright long distance lights it creates very annoying "black out areas" over crests where the height of your eyes have a better angle for seeing over the crest than the lights.

Thanks grant. I thought something like this might crop up. I might fit a set of driving lamps and see what there like, if i dont get on with them fit a set of fogs.

I was thinking of doing this in one or Karl's nice winch bumpers. Bought two sets of 60w LEDs. I'll pop a photo up of them in the mining (if I remember!) The 81 already has front fogs on the inner beams of the headlight clusters.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The height wouldn't be an issue IMO. As remarked on in the OP the height of the 80's bumper is as high as many cars headlights. You get 'black out areas' over crests with the OE headlamps (and even my bumper top mounted HID driving lights) anyway, short of fitting rooftop lights, you can't avoid it but you'll get the benefit of the extra light in most situations.

Mine comes with factory fogs on factory bumper

9890775099b7383be4c998b1ab6a57ff.jpg

Ive never seen them before, are you sure they are factory? What does the dash switch look like?

now actually im not 100% sure if its factory lol, wires and relay and switch were all in pretty bad shape i had to rewire and put new switch in when i first got it, from back of bumper the light mounts look proper welded up, probably was done to keep it factory look previously, but those light are pretty much useless, i may get some LEDs in at some point

Last edited:
They look "right" though. Square might be an option..

I've a set of LED lights (5 lights) that I put into the ARB front-bumper that help with 'fog' but really need to get proper 'orangy' fog lights put in.
Added a set of DRL's onto the bumper. They were so thin/light I just glued them in and work fine (needed in certain countries over here to be 'legal' - don't want an excuse for cops to pull me over)

Ignore me, didnt read post correctly...

Last edited:
LED fog lights in ARB front bullbar

Heres some pics of lights in the bumper. They help mostly on windy switchback sharp-turn roads in the mountains where its hard to see whats coming up. As 'fog' lights so-so but are pretty 'local' as regards how far ahead they lite up.
Have enough with them but will need to add add'l real fog lights (will try and get "put" into bumper as well - so low-down)
Missing are DRL's and Rigid (flood) LEDs I have mounted on bumper

Attachments

• led-front-bull-bar1.jpg
    led-front-bull-bar1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 88
  • led-front-bull-bar2.jpg
    led-front-bull-bar2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 106
Back