Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Dvla mot check

lc99g

Country Flag
uk
I’ve been in the early throws of looking for a more modern lc than my 40 to use a daily driver. Just about every one I looked at on the Dvla mot check stunned me. The adverts claiming to be rust free etc etc are mostly fantasy when you check the mot history. Just shows how you’ve got to be extremely careful when reading the advert claims, and certainly shows the value in doing a simple mot check.

In my limited experience of buying Landcruisers I have found the thing you need heaps of is patience. Budget for a lot of traveling that you can put down to experience. Use the forum for informed opinions. See if anyone with experience can go with you to examine for the weak spots whether from the forum or not. I've viewed many Cruisers for others, only recommending 2 out of them all to be bought, ( GrantW's 80 and an Aussie spec 100 series which went to a US special forces guy) the rest were too rusty.
When searching for my 120 I viewed 10 before finding a good one ( which I love) but getting there was a minefield.

It’s a really useful service being able to quickly check. Looking for a first car for my daughter at the moment and you can easily see that a car has not been well looked after from advisories running year after year even though the advert is “no expense spared”, “full dealer service” and other crap like that. Then you come across one that’s had trouble year after year and now it’s up for sale miracles of miracles it’s got an mot with not a single issue!

It’s a minefield but at least this check can stop you stepping on at least some of the mines.

It can be the other way too, in my experience. MOT history can have no mention of any corrosion, when you view, they are as rusty as an old bucket. So not just the owner/ seller over egging things, Mots must havebeen done in the dark.

I suppose there is still the chance of the old fashioned dodgy mot being out there too. I live in Orkney so the numerous trips to see potential cars can get very expensive !!

You will be lucky to find a good one in Scotland's salt air so i'd been looking at travelling South and inland . You don't mention what series might interest you so might be worth searching for "Toyota Prado" , the imports are typically in better condition .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes I know what you mean Shayne. Just come across one in Woking Surrey that would suit me so am thinking of getting an independent inspection on it.

£7,985 | Toyota Land Cruiser 3.0 D-4D LC3 5dr 8 SEATS 15 STAMPS FULL SERVICE​

a place called Kingston cars 13 ltd. It would be amazing if someone on here knew the car !!

The first 120 I looked at had 42K on it and yearly FTSH. It was like a pier underneath. It really needed a restoration but the MOT ( done by the Toyota Dealer) had no mention of corrosion. It was the worst out of 10. The one I bought was 4 owners, best by far underneath, quietist engine, best interior but a great MOT history. It had been self maintained by the last owner since 2011 and has been wonderful since I got it.
Just shows, FTSH and MOT's can only give an indication of its condition as its so subjective. Nothing beats an examination by someone who knows what they are looking for.

Yes indeed Andy I totally agree. Hopefully an independent inspector would have a better idea of what to look for.
saying that i had one done a couple of years ago on a vw which showed the car being very good which it was apart from the gearbox going into limp mode after between 50 and 100 miles and believe me that was a pure pig to diagnose and sort.
turns out the dealer cleared all the codes before the inspector viewed it so they didn’t show up !!

One thing Andy and have in common is the blackbird. But by the sound of it nothing in common when it comes to cruisers lol.

Thankyou for the complements guys but there are members on here with more technical ability than I have. However I do have 25 years of Cruiser experience of various models and an interest for 45+ years in anything mechanical running trucks as well as fork lifts, motorbikes, lawnmowers etc. In the time of owning a good few LC's I've never had to weld one and never had a breakdown due to mechanical failure.
One thing I do try and help with is someone with inexperience avoiding buying work, a money pit, or a truck in a dangerous state. This is why I give the advice to be patient in a search for an LC and research all you can, get all the help you can, and buy the best you can.

I've learn't a lot from this forum and have had a lot of help in all sorts of ways so I like to give a bit back.

I've had my Blackbird for 13 years and have never gone fast on it, honest guv

I bought mine new in 97 and I must admit that im almost certain I’ve been over 70 in it !

Wow thanks Jake I’ve always wondered why when I pushed the gear pedal down it only went once ! strange too that my other bikes are the same lol.

The MOT history was better a few years ago, when they noted the MOT stations which tested the vehicle.
I generally rule out those vehicles which have lived in Scotland due to excess salt use, course its possible the vehicle could have lived its first 3 years there and then sold and first MOT'd in Winchester but generally there would be service stamps in the book showing the dealer doing the work.

Ooo! while we are on the Subject of Bikes, My latest project is finally Finished, A lot easier than rolling around Under a Land Cruiser, Some Pics for your enjoyment... Started off as the Black one.. Salvage rescue
DSCF0326.JPG
DSCF0242.JPG
DSCF0322.JPG

Back