Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ebay and phone numbers.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
I cant believe how difficult ebay have made things by not being able to give someone your phone number. Ive had a number of people wanting to pick items up lately, including tomorrow. Back in the day i would give them my mobile so i would drive up the track so they would see me. It can be tricky to find. Ive spent half the day exchanging messages with a chap, when one phone call would have sorted everything. .

I cant believe how difficult ebay have made things by not being able to give someone your phone number. Ive had a number of people wanting to pick items up lately, including tomorrow. Back in the day i would give them my mobile so i would drive up the track so they would see me. It can be tricky to find. Ive spent half the day exchanging messages with a chap, when one phone call would have sorted everything. .
Can't you stick your number in the message? Thays whay sellers do.when I go to pick stuff up.

yeh I just stick it in a message, never been a problem, just had someone collect something today as it happens

Ebay wont let me numerical add my number to message. I can write it on a bit of paper and take a picure..
cant see the point.

Ebay wont let me numerical add my number to message. I can write it on a bit of paper and take a picure..
cant see the point.
I’ve done that before or sent email spelled out and dealt that way. Other sellers as nick says put it in their listing.

Iirc, this has something to do with buyers and sellers protection. They want a log of everything said and exchanged, or you get no cover.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Iirc, this has something to do with buyers and sellers protection. They want a log of everything said and exchanged, or you get no cover.
I thought they had gone back to the old ways. iv recently listed a few items with my phone number. waiting for it to be denied... But they all got listed ok..maybe I just got lucky..

Can you not spell your phone number....Zero Eight Nine Eight;)

It wasn't the number I recognised, but the sort of she-man picture that accompanied it!

Maybe eBay only intends to prevent any means of contact, ie. phone, address email etc. prior to the sale being completed. I think that once the sale is completed you can still message the buyer with all the contact info that you want. This way they are protecting their site being used as a means of sale of an item without them having a percentage of the sale price.

But I do agree with you that not being able to put your phone number in pre-sale conditions is a problem as many times one can explain an item better orally than verse.

Had this issue too guys can be frustration as one might wanna visit to look at the item for sale but cannot because if the restrictions. Putting the number is a different format works but twice in the last year I’ve had soon after a warning from EBay to where they can suspend my account. :crazy:

Last time i looked you could attach images to messages so i typed out personal email address and phone number saved it to my pictures and its there to attach to messages any time i need it .

Last time i looked you could attach images to messages so i typed out personal email address and phone number saved it to my pictures and its there to attach to messages any time i need it .
Good one Shayne, the only trouble with that is if you get a call from someone who is interested in the item you are seeking to sell and you happen to sell it to that person outside of eBay, then eBay still charge you their commission as their conditions allow them to do this even if the sale was outside of eBay. Once you have sold the item (outside of eBay) you look to delist the item and eBay have an alert system that revues the messages prior to the delisting and if contact details in whatever manner are displayed then the commission is charged to your eBay account.
Regards

Good one Shayne, the only trouble with that is if you get a call from someone who is interested in the item you are seeking to sell and you happen to sell it to that person outside of eBay, then eBay still charge you their commission as their conditions allow them to do this even if the sale was outside of eBay. Once you have sold the item (outside of eBay) you look to delist the item and eBay have an alert system that revues the messages prior to the delisting and if contact details in whatever manner are displayed then the commission is charged to your eBay account.
Regards
Just supposing the person who calls you is not one of the people who have bid or are watching your item, just someone who has seen your contact details on your listing (that is if you have included them in your listing) eBay have no way of knowing who the buyer might be. You may have deleted your listing because you sold to a bloke down the pub.

Last edited:
Just supposing the person who calls you is not one of the people who have bid or are watching your item, just someone who has seen your contact details on your listing (that is if you have included them in your listing eBay have no way of knowing who the buyer might be. You may have deleted your listing because you sold to a bloke down the pub.
I am not an expert on eBay I am just commenting on the legal/moral objective of their policy and your own moral responsibility. But consider this, and believe me I am not sticking up for eBay here. You have an item you want to sell, you have options like news paper classified, community notice-boards/auctions etc.etc. You choose eBay and you know it has a much bigger traffic looking at your item for sale. You have chosen to display your contact details in camouflage, which is against the eBay policy. Joe Bloggs happens to be meandering through the eBay items that interest her (yes, Joe is a female these days) and sees your phone number, she calls you and arranges to inspect your item She likes it and pays you cash. You delist the item. eBay, having provided you with the means to sell your item miss out on their cut. Now I am sure if you were providing a service and it was used by someone who is avoiding your charges,then you would be a little offended. would you not. I think most people would. It just so happens that eBay is a huge company that makes megga dollar profit, but this does not preclude them from wanting a return on their investment as any company/individual would.
Regards
Vince

I am not an expert on eBay I am just commenting on the legal/moral objective of their policy and your own moral responsibility. But consider this, and believe me I am not sticking up for eBay here. You have an item you want to sell, you have options like news paper classified, community notice-boards/auctions etc.etc. You choose eBay and you know it has a much bigger traffic looking at your item for sale. You have chosen to display your contact details in camouflage, which is against the eBay policy. Joe Bloggs happens to be meandering through the eBay items that interest her (yes, Joe is a female these days) and sees your phone number, she calls you and arranges to inspect your item She likes it and pays you cash. You delist the item. eBay, having provided you with the means to sell your item miss out on their cut. Now I am sure if you were providing a service and it was used by someone who is avoiding your charges,then you would be a little offended. would you not. I think most people would. It just so happens that eBay is a huge company that makes megga dollar profit, but this does not preclude them from wanting a return on their investment as any company/individual would.
Regards
Vince
Point taken Vince.

Back