Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGR Blanking Plates

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Are these things available off the shelf as mine is leaking and I have no means to make them right now. I've searched the suppliers I know but have drawn a blank (no pun intended :icon-rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Try some exhaust sealant perhaps?, I have removed my EGR and have a blanking plate on the exhaust manifold, the standard gasket for that position seals it very well.

As it happens, I've got some for you Mark... I used to make the for one of the members on here & have a few sets over.

I've been meaning to post the in the classifieds for ages.

Laser cut from 6mm stainless steel - just the job :icon-cool:

I'll get some pics for you.

Cheers

They sound good Gav. I made some myself and the one that covers the exhaust hole actually bent under pressure on the trip to France. Never thought it would do that. 6mm sounds about right. I actually machined a new one with a plug on the underside so it actually pushed in to block the hole. Didn't want to have to fix that again.

Yes, I saw your 'plug' Chris - great bit of machining :icon-cool:

JW is running a set of my patented :)whistle:) 'EGRAway' plates & I'm sure I would have heard back if these had been problematic :icon-biggrin:

Gav I think they'll be nicely up to the job. I rather innocently made mine from something like 3mm ally.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
JW is running a set of my patented :)whistle:) 'EGRAway' plates & I'm sure I would have heard back if these had been problematic :icon-biggrin:
They've been great, very handy when I need a paper weight :icon-cool: One day they will replace the much cruder 6mm mild steel ones I made while I was waiting for yours :lol:

20140922_175106.jpg

As it happens, I've got some for you Mark... I used to make the for one of the members on here & have a few sets over.

I've been meaning to post the in the classifieds for ages.

Laser cut from 6mm stainless steel - just the job :icon-cool:

I'll get some pics for you.

Cheers
Ooooh, yes please :thumbup:. Just let me know how much, PM me if you like.

They've been great, very handy when I need a paper weight :icon-cool: One day they will replace the much cruder 6mm mild steel ones I made while I was waiting for yours :lol:

View attachment 15398
They're the ones - good to hear they've come in handy JW!!! :lol:

I had access to a nice little label printer when I did them before & produced a much smarter sticker for them than the fat marker there :oops:

I'll drop you a PM Mark :icon-cool:

Cheers

Gav, if you have more than one set, please drop me a PM too! :)

Willdo AJ :icon-cool:

Sorry Mark, not been near my computer for the last day or so - get to you ASAP :oops:

Today I fitted the blanking plates and it starts and runs just fine. I took the valves off and plugged the single tube that tees off the 2 switch things and that's all. When I took it out for a drive the pre-heater thingy warning light came on and stays on. When I turn off and switch the ignition on, after about 1 second the light goes off as normal but as said within about 5 seconds it comes back on and stays on.

Have I missed something out :think:. What does this light actually mean?

oh, and the engine still whistles away on boost and smokes very slightly on boost as well. Can see it in the daytime but I can at night in the headlights of the car close behind.

i would search for EGR but the forum won't allow searches for 3 character words:icon-cry:

Mark,

Did you earth the intake pipe to the block (restoring the connection that was there before)?

IQ

I didn't, but I will.

Call me nosey, but I'm curious as to why. :think: Is the engine block to inlet manifold earth poor and does the EGR rely on it?

Right, will look at getting a strap made up to go out with the kits in future...

I don't think the strap/bracket on the EGR valve assy is there for earthing, more for support. When I removed mine I realised there was nothing supporting the air intake pipe on the turbo side other than the rubber hose to the turbo itself so I made up a replacement bracket.

Just a quick update from this morning.....

.... I removed the blanking plug from the vacuum pipe that runs over the top of the engine to the the t-piece which connects to the two solenoid type devices and reconnected it.......bingo, no warning light.

Karl, I didn't put an earthing strap on but have left all other wiring in place. I can't say whether it would be needed when removing all the wiring though.

It drives much better now :dance:

Can you PM or text me a price please Gav. It has been mentioned a couple of times before ;)

Back