Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EGR removal/blanking on 3.0 TD series

White smoke is un-burnt diesel i think and the ticking i would guess is a misfire .

Not sure what i would do :think: turn the fuel down maybe to see if it muted the ticking enough to encourage me to let the engine get up to heat at idle ?
do you think its ok to drive.

I'm not going to say that mate because i can't hear it and i don't want to get the blame if things go wrong :eusa-naughty:

I'm thinking because you have cleaned everything while doing the egr delete your now getting more and cleaner air which might expose a dirty injector , but it's a guess rather than an informed opinion :|

I'm not going to say that mate because i can't hear it and i don't want to get the blame if things go wrong :eusa-naughty:

I'm thinking because you have cleaned everything while doing the egr delete your now getting more and cleaner air which might expose a dirty injector , but it's a guess rather than an informed opinion :|

Thanks anyway shayne and will go over every thing tmw and see wot i find .

Thanks anyway shayne and will go over every thing tmw and see wot i find .

Well shayne u may be spot on again as just read a post on another lc site and some one has all my symtoms after egr clean as loud ticking noise .
They got injectors cleaned and problem solved but his egr clean was a year ago but still he describes my symtoms.

I wonder if you pulled the fuel feed pipe and let it tickover a bit from a bottle of diesel mixed with injector cleaner it would help ?

I wonder if you pulled the fuel feed pipe and let it tickover a bit from a bottle of diesel mixed with injector cleaner it would help ?

Well shayne been an interesting day as got in the car today being apprehensive as not sure if it would drive and breakdown..
Drove around and it drove fine but the ticking noise now sounds like a car with a dodgy spark plug and is very loud on rev but drives ok and still no eml light on.
Strange thing is around 2500rpm i get a wistle like its a vacume pipe has come loose but does your turbo whistle when its on its way out..
If i have a injector fault will i lose power or can the car cope with 3 with no problem.

Ps ,,,!!revs are fine and stable have got no smoke and car is very steady when stationary.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Turbo whistle is good thing , running with a faulty injector is not , the dodgy spark plug is a good comparison one piston is rattling up and down because it has to but its being driven by the rest . How dirty was your intake ?

Turbo whistle is good thing , running with a faulty injector is not , the dodgy spark plug is a good comparison one piston is rattling up and down because it has to but its being driven by the rest . How dirty was your intake ?

To be honest i was expecting worse but i ghink the previous owner had done it as all bolts came off like they had been off before.
My thottle valve or butterfly valve had a thin black layer and sticky my crossmember that went to the turbo was not to bad.
Inlet was about 2,3 mm thick but i had problems putting the five bolts back in the heat shield as seem to reject them.
The air intake pipe brackets held onto the body of the car one bracket hole just cracked so only one bracket holding in place but very sturdy .
On start up the white smoke had oven cleaner smell to it.

Is the ticking an alarming noise or does the engine just sound different ?

An exhaust leak can amplify both turbo and engine noise

Is the ticking an alarming noise or does the engine just sound different ?

The tick over is just a higher pitch its only alarming because i no it was,nt there before.
When i get a chance i will go over every thing again but dont think injector is gonna clean its self.
Have put fuel injection cleaner in today but dont think gonna make any difference.

The more i read about injectors the more i think we should all overhaul them but i think here it may be a red herring , diesels are noisy old beasts anyway and now its breathing better it might have just changed the tone to one your more inclined to hear .

As i said check the exhaust , i was baffled by a belt noise which i felt must be something more serious and only after i had changed the belt did i work out the exhaust had cracked a weld at about the same time the belt began to complain .

The more i read about injectors the more i think we should all overhaul them but i think here it may be a red herring , diesels are noisy old beasts anyway and now its breathing better it might have just changed the tone to one your more inclined to hear .

As i said check the exhaust , i was baffled by a belt noise which i felt must be something more serious and only after i had changed the belt did i work out the exhaust had cracked a weld at about the same time the belt began to complain .
If i get a chance i will record it and post on youtube and send u the link as u can advise me better that way if dont mind that is .

Hi Tony.

If you are leaving the EGR unit in place but just blanking it off, then yes you can just slide the blanking piece between the exhaust manifold and the EGR pipe.

If, like me, you want to dispense with the EGR unit completely, then you will need to blank off the remaining holes on both the exhaust and inlet manifolds.

You get two blanking plates (smaller for exhaust, larger for inlet) in the kit that I bought.

Forgot to ask knicko did you clean your throttle valve or butterfly valve when you done your egr blank as my engine sounds louder but used oven cleaner.

Very strange start up today shayne as car has a different tone today as not as loud as yesterday but more of pinking noise .I have made a clip to show you but can i find were it has gone no.

Your vanishing act made me search youtube and i found this
the guy hadn't reconnected a sensor so it seems .

Your vanishing act made me search youtube and i found this
the guy hadn't reconnected a sensor so it seems .
That shayne is how my car sounded yesterday and was rough as hell.
Today tho it just seems a little better but still not rite as u no ur own car and its sick.
Type in tony rodaway on youtube and you will find my clip and see wot I mean.

Found an injector on ebay for £36 just in case its that..

Thought about wot u said about putting the injector cleaner in from a bottle and why not just take the pipe off the filter and pour direct into there and prime.

That shayne is how my car sounded yesterday and was rough as hell.
Today tho it just seems a little better but still not rite as u no ur own car and its sick.
Type in tony rodaway on youtube and you will find my clip and see wot I mean.

Found an injector on ebay for £36 just in case its that..

Thought about wot u said about putting the injector cleaner in from a bottle and why not just take the pipe off the filter and pour direct into there and prime.

May have found the culprit as noticed the hissing sound around 2500rpm and made me think of the turbo pipe from the manifold .
Anyway got home from work to check the pipe and find the top clasp had some how snapped.
So after checkin the rubber that the crossmenber fits in it had like an oily rim and tried to get a tie rap around but to hard to get on cos of the air intake pipe and it was dark and the time was 20.20.
Wil get it sorted in work and hope thats my fix.

Struggling here Tony because i have never had to play with my injectors , but i'm sure i have heard that same noise from my truck before :confusion-scratchh:

Ha we crossed posts but yeah that could be it , like an exhaust leak amplifying normal noises . Here's your vid

Back