Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric Aerial

NeilM

Question,

Is it normal for the electric aerial to make a loud vibrating noise as the aerial reaches its full travel?

I've just replaced the mast on my 95 as the original one was bent and made the noise when extending / retracting when it seemingly hit resistance points in its travel. It now still makes the noise at the top of its travel and I now wonder if I have a problem within the winding gear.

Regards
Neil

Sounds like the motor is not cutting out when aerial is fully extended, I don't know if they are adjustable though?

I had the same problem with an aftermarket aerial I got off ebay to replace a BERU one.
The drive kept clicking and grinding away both at the top and bottom of the travel.
I think the clutch is knackered inside now as it won't extend without help.
Those ebay aerials are crap as well, mine is full of corrosion as well.

Cossack said:
Sounds like the motor is not cutting out when aerial is fully extended, I don't know if they are adjustable though?

Thanks Cossack - Sounds like the noise is not normal them. Have had the aerial in bits and I can't see what I should fiddle with to fix it.

Bounder said:
I had the same problem with an aftermarket aerial I got off ebay to replace a BERU one.
The drive kept clicking and grinding away both at the top and bottom of the travel.
I think the clutch is knackered inside now as it won't extend without help.
Those ebay aerials are crap as well, mine is full of corrosion as well.

Thanks for your reply Bounder,
Mine's an ebay mast in a Toyota body. Noise was same with OEM mast, in fact worse, it now only grinds at the top of its travel. Suppose I'll live with the noise until it fails totally. Just a bit embarrassing when extending the aerial as someone walks past.

Yesterday in a multi storey car park passer's by must have thought they were being machined gunnned. :shock:

Neil.

I had this problem when i first got my colorado and when i took the aerial motor out i had three other plastic tails inside it from previous aerials so i took them out and put it all back together with a new aerial that i got from ebay and now have a silent running electric aerial. Joe

Back