Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electric issues

Folurteener54

Folks,
Please weigh in here in terms of your opinion of:
Possible solutions to issues.
Degree of threat indicating more serious problems, costs to repair?
Keep or trade? I'm concerned that I'm entering into a phase where the continued problems will
escalate and cause the value of the vehicle to drop.
2003 Model 100, 129K miles, great running condition, maintenance.

1. Electric fault - repeated blown fuses for radio/audio. I read and implemented suggested fixes from forum. Wasted over $350 at dealership, they were unable to resolve it. I replace fuses and they last anywhere from hours to days. They disconnected non functional CD player as well.
2. Navigation System - Found the Map, Dest, Menu buttons all inoperable yesterday.
Any suggestions on diagnosis, probable faults, fixes?
Thank you for your time

Well this post made a lot more sense than your other. I don't have a 100 series so all I can offer is general diagnostic info.
You say your Nav unit is playing up, I'd start by disconnecting this along with its CD player in the boot (I think). Then if the fuses stop blowing, start looking for tell tale signs. Have you had a replacement windscreen at some point? Is there something connected to the sat Nav/radio system? If so try disconnecting this. Did it just come on or did it occur after an event (service, new windscreen etc). There are inline connectors that plug into the fuses with either a meter in line or plugs for a multimeter, you can then check what the current draw is. My gut feeling is water damage from a leaking windscreen, but that is just one possible. The more you do yourself the less you'll pay the stealer. This is possibly a tricky fault to find so doing it yourself is likely to be the cheapest option. You will need patience and some tools and a little trial and error but you will learn a lot about your truck in the process.

Saying Hi in the 'introduce yourself 'section and giving specific info (what exactly you've done, tested, disconnected, traced etc without abbreviating things) in a post such as this one is likely to net you more help, we're a friendly helpful bunch who like to get to know newbies. Posting in multiple sections isn't usually necessary on here as long as you post in the most suitable one.
Good luck with it.
Rich

Rich:
thanks for the reply and advice. My further research seems to indicate the Nav module could be repaired by an outfit in Van Nuys, CA for about $250 but would only restore the old school level of maps, CD unit doesn't work so unable to use update CD's. third party suppliers provide current sound, Bluetooth capabilities.
I would like to keep the unit since it has treated me well and provides FWD, "Fun with Dog..."

Sounds like this has been building up for a while F54. If you've got the option to drag it into the 21st century for not a lot of money ($250 sounds pretty good for the basic refurb) then that seems like a worthwhile modification. I think you could possibly be leading the field on this one. Couple of suggestions follow,
If you haven't already, have a search on here for 100 series navigation unit problems. If there is something have a look and see if there's anything of help there, I would suggest if nothing then could you post up your faults and links to repairers and your results as an aid to others with this issue. If there is no specific thread on here, start another thread with a specific title, '100 series Sat Nav repair' or the like as your title is quite generic and easy to miss (it's always a good idea to do this in titles as it then gets more specific attention, you can edit titles, so could edit this one which might help). Lastly, we don't want to lose you but there is another forum Ih8mud which is more US based which may be more help.

Well done for getting this far. This is a really friendly forum with a growing number of members from the US as well as many from the UK, Oz and SA among others.
Hope this helps.

Back