Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Electrical problem

foobar

Country Flag
uk
Afternoon,

I have an electrical issue that's been annoying me for the past day.

I've blown fuse 52 twice in 24 hours, no idea why but I have an inkling the side mirrors may have something to do with it. Nothing has been changed or added.

Anyone experienced this before? It's quite annoying since I can't lock the car with the keyfob and I'm all out of 10A fuses, so I need to find the cause asap.

Thanks,
Steve.

Last edited:
Fuse 52 ???
What year, month, market, fuel. The fuse numbers are not the same for all 100's.

(where's your signature line)

Edit: What is the text for that fuse, as the numbers are not in the EWD, only in the Owner's Manual.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry, I've added a signature, it's a 2004 4.2 TD Auto. It's the ECU-B2 fuse on mine so it affects the mirrors, alarm/immobiliser (hence why the fob stops working) and the MPG and trip counters, they reset when the power is off, and the steering wheel no longer moves in and out of the way with the key in/out of the ignition. Everything else seems to work.

I think it's the mirrors causing it, the passenger/left side particularly since that appeared a bit sticky earlier as I was trying to adjust it, then both stopped working and the fuse had blown again, so I think it's a motor/actuator in there.

Thanks,
Steve.

Yes, I would also check the mirrors first, and the cables to the doors.

BTW, if you want to keep the tilt and telescope (steering wheel) function operational, you should disable the automatic up-an-away function, as it kills the motors somewhere before 200 k.

Yeah I think the passenger/left mirror is the problem since it was moving left and right but not up and down much while I was adjusting it, I was pressing the buttons quite a lot, then the fuse blew :)

I'd read quite a few posts including yours regarding the steering wheel motors yesterday, I think I need that software so I can disable that, and check OBD because I think the telescopic motor has just gone.

Thanks,
Steve.

If you can troubleshoot the motors, check whether the brushes are worn down, it may be a simple task to get brushes for them, or you could get the motor refurbished, you would need to check the price of a new one.
I may be able to help in this if need be.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks StarCruiser, when I fix the mirror(s) I'll start looking at that.

Steve.

No problem. I have a contact that can refurbish motors.

I failed to recon my tilt motor. There are no brushes but just an iron core with some sort of stiff slip ring with a solid lubricant on it which had worn through. I tried a PTFE washer which wore out. There is a special name for these motors which i can't remember.

P.S. It's "piezoelectric" motor. They are VERY fussy when worn and in my book impossible to repair. I think mine is monitored by a computer and any negative feedback and the computer cuts the power supply.

Those motors are not cheap from the stealers, but I'd be wary of a general breaker (they'll tell you that the motors came of a late model with 30K on the clock and in my experience are not tested). Worth talking to somebody like Karl though.

Back