Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

End of diesel overland travelling in Europe.

So emissions rules don't actually matter a damn if you can afford the fees .

Exactly. Or if you can afford a newish vehicle, no matter how big the engine.

If you can’t, TfL recommend you to get on yer bike, ‘upgrade’ your vehicle (thanks - make mine a mint 200), or jump on one of their thousands of diesel buses doing about five miles to the gallon.

Don’t get me wrong. Driving any car in central London during office hours is a pointless and barbaric activity and should be discouraged. I’m sure most would agree.

My issue with all this is that the leaders of one of the world’s richest cities are scoring cheap political points by targeting a minority who have chosen to - or have no choice but to - drive slightly older vehicles rather than setting an example and taking more radical measures that may risk upsetting political and business interests.

Until they do we have a bizarre system where you’d get charged for driving your fifteen-year-old Lupo into London once a year while a ten-year-old supercharged RR can be driven around five days a week without paying a penny.

I carry a folding bike in the trunk, and have many many times just had to find parking in the side streets and bike it to the tube in order to get to appointments etc on time. and then had to come back for the car later.

Welcome to London!

I have been following this thread and while I avoid cities like the plague I can see petrol vehicles having exactly the same issues as diesel in the near future, both my diesel 80 series and my petrol E38 (BMW 740i) have the same charges applied against them if I want to visit London or I assume any other EU city.
Ironically they both have the same VED (aka road tax) costs every year.

Strange that... Just checked my car on the LEZ vehicle checker and I am exempt ,Yippeee but for how long ??
Whilst I do not have the need or interest most of the time to drive in London during the weekdays ,sometimes its just as quick to cut through ,than driving I mean crawling around the M25.

An interesting vid here, yes, I know we aren’t overlanding in Stuttgart Centre but this cites a ban on one of the main arterial roads.
Worth a watch.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sheffield CC are looking to bring in a ‘congestion’ charge for Buses, taxis, vans and lorries but not private cars in 2021. They’re after £40m from the government to install the infrastructure, cameras etc and the policing for the scheme. I believe Leeds are to introduce a similar scheme this year.

As I’ve said before, diesels are not the cause of respiratory illnesses.
Air quality in cities is the best it’s ever been, so why has the incident of respiratory conditions increased?
It’s all bollocks, attacking the motorist is easy, dealing with actual issues isn’t, so let’s create a shitstorm from nothing and fuck the motorist.

yet science says otherwise...………………………….

An interesting vid here, yes, I know we aren’t overlanding in Stuttgart Centre but this cites a ban on one of the main arterial roads.
Worth a watch.

Incredible.

Legislation based upon supposition, not scientific data.

The world is going mad....

yet science says otherwise...………………………….
Actually no it doesn’t, not if you dig down through the detail underneath the politically motivated media hysteria.

I have seen asthma blamed on vehicle emissions, it isn’t.
I’ve seen copd blamed on vehicle emissions, it isn’t.
Which medical conditions do you think are actually caused by vehicle emissions?
The other day I got picked up by the boss of the taxi firm work use in his 3.0 Range Rover. It does over 30mpg and has the emissions of a budgie fart, but it’s banned from central London because it’s a diesel. So when he goes into London he takes his old Bentley that does 9mpg, but it’s a petrol so that’s ok!!

The nice thing about facts is that they care what you think

The nice thing about facts is that they care what you think
Alas facts get ignored when money enters the equation and evidence gets manufactured and presented as facts. Laws then get based upon these ‘facts’ by people who know nothing about what they are legislating about apart from what they are presented with as ‘the facts’ in front of them.

This particular (pardon the pun) law clearly has little to no base on fact. Just like the anthropogenic global warming lie which is presented as truth.

Millions of years of energy from the sun stored as fossil fuels being released in a century and a half or so is likely to warm things up a bit.

Millions of years of energy from the sun stored as fossil fuels being released in a century and a half or so is likely to warm things up a bit.
Although this will indeed be true, ‘tis but a drop in the ocean which is swallowed up in the general heating and cooling cycles of the planet from the direct influence of the sun and our solar system.

Back