Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

End of diesel overland travelling in Europe.

MetalDonkey

Country Flag
uk
Hi all
Just finished planning a short overland trip to various countries in Europe and realised that Clean Air certificates , Low emission zone certificates is required for all of them . which makes me wonder why anyone would want to drive to countries that makes it difficult even to traverse their cities. I think I am correct in saying that by 2020 all Euro 6 and less will be banned from city centres in Europe therefore why would anyone want to own a 15 - 20 year old diesel powered vehicle, if you cannot enjoy it.

I suppose it depends on your priorities and journey plan. I have driven my truck through Paris once, and will probably never again. Not because it's a Euro 4 diesel, but parking! Truck is too tall for any underground or multi-storey car parks, and finding on street parking is an expedition in itself.
I find it easier to use park and ride or shopping centres with rail connections for city visits. It's not like I'd be camping in the city anyway. I know you have to leave the truck unattended but most places are fine

Governments are always promoting or retricting policies that suits the agenda of the elite / corporations. We’re all going electric eventually one way or another.....lol

I drive a 19 year old diesel so I can go places other than cities or where the roads are limited. If I wanted to tour Europe theres better vehicle choices with better fuel efficiency and better driving dynamics imho

Its the individuals futile fight against the EU's ban on quality , i mean why paint your house every 10 years when you can paint it every 6 months and hand that money to the 1% who can buy media , politicians and law . Same with cars why build one that will last 30 or 40 years with care and home mechanics when you can instead be permanently in debt to the 1% trying to keep a car with a 3 year life expectancy usable ?

Oh and its better for the planet dontcha know :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its the individuals futile fight against the EU's ban on quality , i mean why paint your house every 10 years when you can paint it every 6 months and hand that money to the 1% who can buy media , politicians and law . Same with cars why build one that will last 30 or 40 years with care and home mechanics when you can instead be permanently in debt to the 1% trying to keep a car with a 3 year life expectancy usable ?

Oh and its better for the planet dontcha know :icon-rolleyes:
I agree with Shane.. this should be on a separate thread ( so sorry) but why do they make Diesel cars so they break down? my missus just had the car back from the garage. nearly £1400 repair bill for a car that hasn't even done 30,000 miles... New egr, new dpf, new sensor this that and the other bla bla bla. luckily it was under warranty but only just, it took some fighting.. then there is my trusty old Colorado that took us round Europe many times with out a single problem being banned from every city from London to Cairo. Like Moggy says. who the f:mad:~k would want to go to the city anyway...Sorry im grumpy:angry:

Hate to break it to you, but you are likely in "the 1%". Anyone in the West earning more than £30,000 p/a would be in the Worldwide top 1%... its an overused phrase referring to the uber rich, but the reality is that massive disparity in earnings in Third World and emerging nations means most of us would make the 1% cut.

But to answer the OP - same answer for me as Mark, Moggy, etc - I don't travel big distances in order to go into city centres.

Agreed that for visiting cities, fly-drive (rental) is probably the best option.

But to see the world, and what countries have to offer, the good old diesel will probably be viable till 2050, and by then they’ll have changed their minds, and realised the folly of electric cars, or not.

Time, and further development of other alternatives will tell.

Well I live in Central Europe, near Prague, Czech Republic. I regularly visit Germany and other European countries in my diesel HZJ78. Yes there are low emission zones in some of the city centers, but that’s not where you want to be with a vehicle like this anyway, right? If you must visit the cities public transport is very comprehensive, so best to find a secure parking lot on the edge of the LEZ, and tram or bus from there.

Governments are always promoting or retricting policies that suits the agenda of the elite / corporations. We’re all going electric eventually one way or another.....lol

We should feel lucky we can go anywhere in Cyprus with no restrictions no matter how old our cars are , great isn't it .

Rumour has it that Birmingham in the UK will be introducing a ban on all diesel vehicles from the City Centre, I am sure London will follow soon.
In my case when I was planning my trip I should have chosen a hotel on the Outskirts of the City and bussed or trained it in.

I don’t reallt want to go to cities when I’m overlanding

Exactly.

Cities are generally off limits, out of bounds.
For over-landing, cities are not where you would generally want to be anyway.

Graham

350.jpg

Rumour has it that Birmingham in the UK will be introducing a ban on all diesel vehicles from the City Centre, I am sure London will follow soon.
In my case when I was planning my trip I should have chosen a hotel on the Outskirts of the City and bussed or trained it in.
Any time soon?

In the case of London’s T-charge it’s worth checking online if your truck is actually affected.

For some reason my 1998 diesel is showing up as Euro 4 on their system so it’s exempt. I’ve confirmed this with them over the phone twice.

C5E445A7-7D3A-428D-881A-0A15C40C6643.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all
Just finished planning a short overland trip to various countries in Europe and realised that Clean Air certificates , Low emission zone certificates is required for all of them . which makes me wonder why anyone would want to drive to countries that makes it difficult even to traverse their cities. I think I am correct in saying that by 2020 all Euro 6 and less will be banned from city centres in Europe therefore why would anyone want to own a 15 - 20 year old diesel powered vehicle, if you cannot enjoy it.
Hi,

The clean air certificate is requested mostly to get into the capital cities like Paris or others.

If you travel in the country with an old Diesel, and for instance in France they are many still running they will not stop you at the border especially if you enter temporarily the country.
If you want to visit one of those cities, you let your vehicle outside and take the subway easy and cheap.

In the case of London’s T-charge it’s worth checking online if your truck is actually affected.

For some reason my 1998 diesel is showing up as Euro 4 on their system so it’s exempt. I’ve confirmed this with them over the phone twice.

View attachment 149558

I’ve just checked my ‘98 reg 80 and it is also exempt from the LEZ charges which I find puzzling for an old vehicle that has no fancy electronic fuelling system, doesn’t use Adblue, no CAT or DPF.

Back