Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engin light goes on.

ODP

Hi I got a 100VX 4.2 Diesel 2006. I was driving and the engin light lit up, the speedo aslo stopped working when this happend. The vehicle do not switch over into top gear. I was driving at a very low speed when this happend. I disconnected the battery's and left it to cool down but the problem still exist. It do seems that the car do not have all of it's power. And the gear changes are very hard.
What can be wrong?

First thing coming to mind is: check ground/earth straps for engine, batteries, and at/under the left and right kickpanels.
But, we could probably narrow it down better...

Let's see:
1 The car is still drivable
2 Does not go into top gear and gear changes are rough
3 The power is reduced (sounds like the Eng./Gear ECU has detected a fault condition)
4 The CEL is on, and the speedo is "off".
5 A 2006. The car is nearly new. What's the milage?

a) Any other instruments or anything else not working?
b) Did you get/do a Trouble Code reading? (Two ways, Toyota Tester or OBD2 reader; or manual reading the blinking-code of the CEL. (I think a 2006 HDJ must be obd2 compliant?)
c) Any water-crossing or similar?
d) Any sign of leaking windscreen? (Often appears first as Engine ECU problems because water would drip down onto the ECU. Did you ever change the windscreen? (Takes an experienced pro to get it right)

Thanks, I will check the earthing. The car has 129k km. All the other instruments are working. Last knight the wipers just started working out of nothing and this morning it stopped. I do believe that their is an electrical problem. If you disconnect the battery's and connect again there is a relaitive big spark on the terminal.
Window is still original. No water crossings or off roading the pass month.
Taking it in tomorrow to do the relevant test.

Back