Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine removal 4.7 anyone? starting on one this weekend

ponytl

Country Flag
united_states
New here scoured the net and you tube and no one seems to have posted anything about a 4.7 engine removal and replacement... replacing the engine in a 2001 lx470 donor engine is from a 2004 tacoma with 72k on it... I'll replace the timing belt and water pump before i drop it in... anything I should look out for? thanks in advance... I might do a video as I go... I posted a step by step alternator replacement on the lexus a few years ago going through the right wheel well vs pulling the radiator and got a ton of.... thank you notes... about to do a search to see if the exhaust manifolds are the same...

New here scoured the net and you tube and no one seems to have posted anything about a 4.7 engine removal and replacement... replacing the engine in a 2001 lx470 donor engine is from a 2004 tacoma with 72k on it... I'll replace the timing belt and water pump before i drop it in... anything I should look out for? thanks in advance... I might do a video as I go... I posted a step by step alternator replacement on the lexus a few years ago going through the right wheel well vs pulling the radiator and got a ton of.... thank you notes... about to do a search to see if the exhaust manifolds are the same...

I'd have thought the USA site IH8MUD would have plenty of info as most of your compatriots have the petrol/gas engine

Thanks... really almost zero showed up on my searches... I got it done this week... I purchased a 2005 (not 2004) Tundra engine complete with wire harness off ebay, let me just say all I was able to use was the Long Block... I had to swap oil pan, all mounts, the wire harness, complete intake assy, exhaust manifolds & with new studs (where the old ones broke), starter (my option as i think the starter I had was better), oil filter mount, I did do a timing belt/water pump and all related parts while the engine was on the stand, replaced the fuel filter, and as many hoses as i could... also replaced cabin air filters while i had the glove box out... They were original and NASTY... I'm very slow but I have about 30hrs and about $1600 in the exchange... it's always good when you have no left over wires or hoses or nuts or bolts... took a ton of pictures of wire/hose routes and bracket position... with the engine out the timing belt and related work was less than an hour... I'd hate to do it in the truck... no real tricks just labor

Last edited:
Great job. Well done. Would be interresting to see some pics - did you do a write up anywhere?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back