Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Equipment - Considering alloy wheels on my 80

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
It was a toss-up whether this enquiry belongs in the Equipment/Wheels and Tyres or Series 80 threads, so that explains the title.

It's only a consideration at the moment, but I've been pestered by the idea of fitting alloy wheels to my 80, probably brought about by my bad back following the swap-over from MUDs to ATs at the weekend.

Both my sets of wheels are the same - steels, 16"x10" which with 305mm 70 tyres on, are somewhat bloorry heavy to say the least.:wtf:

So, I started googling various alloy wheel patterns that have taken my fancy, one of which was the Racer Industries (can't remember the pattern name) but one of the members has them on his 70 and they are NICE!

Anyway, it doesn't seem to matter what pattern, because whatever I've found on my googling, nobody seems to make an alloy wheel 16"x 10" with zero offset in the 80 - six hole configuration :icon-evil:

Any suggestions? I think Chris is running 17" alloys which I suppose are 8" (or maybe 9" wide) and I would guess that in a 305 or 315x70x17 they wouldn't be far off a 35" tyre at 34.36".

So, what wheels can anyone recommend to me, because I'm giving up on my searches. I'd appreciate anyone's help that has been through this pain :icon-biggrin:

I would really prefer 16" x 10" but no luck on them with zero offset so far either..... AAAARRGH!

Just remembered it was Mr. Meir's 70, besides they're only 15" rims which won't fit over my calipers, these wheels look stunning IMO.

IMG_2423[1].JPG

Last edited:
I considered alloys for a while and so found out Chevy truck wheels will fit and i doubt you will have a problem finding them in 16x10 . Must say though if the issue your trying to address is weight your flogging a dead horse because the rubber accounts for most of it .

I'm with you on that Shayne, but I understand that steel rims are about twice the weight of the alloys, maybe I'm wrong on that too :lol:

At least that would be some saving...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes steels but not OEM steels. These are good quality steels but not as heavy as the genuine ones. I had a set of allies on this when I bought it from andy and a steel spare. The spare was utterly shagged really and not fit for mounting, so I pulled the tyre off for practice with the tyre levers. Strewth are they heavy.

But if your motoring is largely motorway there could be something to be said for storing all that energy in the wheel once up to speed. But in relation to accelerating and braking. They take a heavy toll.

Are std 80 allies no good Clive? Stretching to 10" will mean that you could loose a little height as they spread. Don't want them popping off either if you air down at all. Mine are a daft -30 off set.

Yes steels but not OEM steels. These are good quality steels but not as heavy as the genuine ones. I had a set of allies on this when I bought it from andy and a steel spare. The spare was utterly shagged really and not fit for mounting, so I pulled the tyre off for practice with the tyre levers. Strewth are they heavy.

But if your motoring is largely motorway there could be something to be said for storing all that energy in the wheel once up to speed. But in relation to accelerating and braking. They take a heavy toll.

Are std 80 allies no good Clive? Stretching to 10" will mean that you could loose a little height as they spread. Don't want them popping off either if you air down at all. Mine are a daft -30 off set.

Thanks for that Chris, but I'm not sure what standard allies are, 16" x 8" perhaps? Would they be good for 305 or 315s?

I'm not too bothered for offroad 'cos the MUDs can stay on the best of the steels and the ATs will be going on the allies.

I'm not sure what standard allies are, 16" x 8" perhaps? Would they be good for 305 or 315s?
yes Clive, 16x8. Lots of people running 315's and bigger on them I don't think you need worry about them only being 8" wide.

yes Clive, 16x8. Lots of people running 315's and bigger on them I don't think you need worry about them only being 8" wide.

Thanks Jon.

They won't look as nice as Mr. Meir's Racer's though will they :lol:

Would someone be kind enough to post (or guide me t) a photo of stock 80 alloys, embarrassed to say I don't remember and mine had stock steels on when I bought it.

Would they look good in charcoal like my steels?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 148
Look on Muxley's build thread on my sig line for 16" OEM alloys & 315/75 muds on Clive. 80 alloys are lovely & simple stylee. I have them on our Colorado too :)

Last edited:
Thanx Gary, they're fine are they not? Any that I'll get will probably be a bit shagged, but with a lick of some charcoal grey, they will look just fine!

Thanks chaps. :thumbup:

It sure does Andy, clear that I don't need to buy new fancy wheels.

Still, I have to find a way to get stock wheels next... :think:

Thanx Gary, they're fine are they not? Any that I'll get will probably be a bit shagged, but with a lick of some charcoal grey, they will look just fine!

Thanks chaps. :thumbup:

mine look good in photos and from a distance, too close and you see the brush marks :lol:

One Andy, and that's mine!

I did did see an HDJ 80 2 weeks ago, but it was Bulgarian, just passin' through!

About 4 years ago, after a lot of searching, I actually found a scrap one, but it was completely stripped, only the paint left, not even any glass or carpet. Cassis and body, no dash no nothing else!

Back