Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Excessive play in transfer box KZJ90

A tip for removing the front diff is to undo the rear most bush bolt first , its a hex key which screws off a threaded sleeve . When this is off try and knock the bolt , which is inserted in the bush from above , up a bit .

If like me you can't then you will have to remove the drive flange so do that first and the diff will pretty much fall out when you undo the front bush bolts .

Interesting to note that the replacement R16 diff is dated 2003 ?

Its not in yet but i am starting to feel the need to cross my fingers and hope i have diagnosed the problem correctly and the replacement will be the cure :handgestures-finge:

Front diff 001.JPG

Just waiting patiently for the good news Shayne....

:angry-chillpill:

Non waited more patiently than Gerry and the atrics because it was pub day yesterday and i was an hour late . Diff's in and Helen reports the problem is solved :)

She says the dash still rattles though so i'm wondering if i should have fixed that first . We shall see when she gets home .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
'…there's no pleasing some people'

All that time you've been chasing this clunk and your reward for solving it is 'the dash rattles'.
Bless em…

Well done for finding it mate. Is it too early to crack open the bubbly or is the clunk officially history? :obscene-drinkingdr:

I still haven't driven it Rich but Helen seems happy with it and i have her trained to report on rattles and squeaks i might not hear with my rubbish ears .

I'm just thinking the dash may have been exaggerating a problem that wasn't quite as severe as it seemed .

Ah I see what you mean. At least that won't involve a near death experience if one of you drives it and the other looks for the rattle.

Dash rattle is not a very accurate description , we are not talking about a loose ashtray or a cable tapping inside somewhere , i would be unlikely to hear such things anyway . I now know its the whole dash .

Just been for a drive and Helen's right it did cure the problem for her . But i am hard on the clutch , every change is a hill start if you like (a bad habit from my bike days) so i'm still hearing/feeling the bang though the replacement diff has reduced the problem significantly .

I'm thinking it's normal drivetrain shunt and had i fixed the dash i might not have bothered changing the diff .

Wishing now i had paid more attention to her dash rattle complaints :doh:

Well, rattle or not, changing the diff has improved things so that's got to be a good thing…hasn't it?

Yes if i was keeping the truck , but i'm not so having paid over the odds for the truck in the first place then replacing steering rack bushes , tie rods , diff and whatever else and fitting a £600 3" stainless exhaust thinking i would be keeping the truck forever i dread to think what the less than 3000 miles she has actually driven it will have cost per mile when i sell it on :grimacing:

Swapsies for the black 80 in Telford then. :)

He was up for a trade but its not listed any more . Not sure now anyway i would rather spend my spare time modifying rather than fixing things . Helen knows hers is a good car and she trusts it implicitly - but its not the black beast of Barry which is where i'm stuck .

A 4 door with big wheels is on the cards but you know what women are like and she might tell me she wants to keep hers next week :icon-rolleyes:

Good to hear you've fixed "something" Shayne, it's better than reporting no change!

I think Transmission clunks are notorious on older trucks, my rear diff clangs through the rear prop a treat if I don't catch the gear change smoothly. I've replaced the UJs, I've had the transfer box bearing checked, end float checked, and the diff free-play checked, all allegedly in-tolerance.

But my dash doesn't rattle.

:thumbup:

It's all a learning curve mate who knows with another hundred years of learning and i might get good at something :|

Test drive 2 coming up so you might wanna get some popcorn in the interval .

That looks half tidy, assuming's all's well underneath! Worth a look-see I'd have thought.

Well i'm happy with her truck at last so i will maybe start thinking about the way forward tomorrow .

I'm not sure the pics will show but dash rattle is a common problem with the 90 series with no invisible cure that i could find so here's what i did .

Dash Rattle 001.JPG

Dash Rattle 002.JPG

Even Max Ellery wasn't much help but it looks like the dash is only held with some clips which evidently fall out and as far as i can see the only way to replace them is to remove the whole dash so sod that .

Did the ties from the Land Rover repair kit do the trick then Shayne? No more shudders, knocks or rattles?

Back