Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

exhaust system ...

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi guys ....
My zorst has bitten the bullet (back box fell off ...and noticed several other fracture points in the rest)

I am weighing up weather to get a standard mild steel system ... or a stainless system..

any thoughts ??? ..

oh it's for my 96 4.5 petrol

stainless should last longer and be better value in the long run but you probably need to have the truck a few years to get the benefits over patching it up with a standard mild steel one more times.

I'd personally go stainless, can get custom made systems which aren't always silly money and it's not gonna rot. If go down the custom route you can get it tucked up out the way and sounding a bit more like a 4.5 should lol.

If you plan to keep it forever go stainless if not a standard exhaust is plenty good enough . I would go for the cheapest because you will forget about it 10 minutes after its fitted and how often does anyone look at or even think about an exhaust if everythings working as it should ?

Prospeed in Cardiff did a cat back system for me for £650 in full stainless and routed so its nice and tucked away. Service Was great. They have since fitted the rest of my system including custom headers and I'm very pleased with it. I can't recommend them enough really.

Are you running LPG?

Prospeed get my vote too, Charlie did a great job on my 3" Ooh! Matron. :oops:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm with Shayne. Possibly because it's THE most sensible thing he's ever said. Unless you want to hot things up a bit with new headers and a bigger bore, all you want is a tube from front to back. Usually called an exhaust.

Question - What do I replace my stadnard worn out exhaust with? Answer, a new exhaust. Question - how do I improve my car's performance? Ahh - that's different.

Jon is right, how long will the will the car last v how long will the exhaust last v the cost of std over stainless.

So really Carl, it depends. Petrol engines get through exhausts more often than diesels because of the products of combustion going into solution in the engine's condensate. These form a mild acid. If you run the engine long enough to boil these off, it's fine. But short trips are the end of an exhaust system. Stainless gets around this. But payback is over quite a long period. If the std exhaust is nearly as much as stainless, well, no brainer.

In a normal world, I'd stick a pattern part on. But for sheer vrooom, I'd stick a nice stainless bad boy on there. The extra cash is nothing to do with the exhaust, it's about paying for a smile.

C

Changed my mind go for stainless coz i'd never trust a preacher :icon-biggrin:

I got a virtually brand new full exhaust (Toyota) for £75 for my 4.5 Amazon from one of the 80 breakers. It's a option you may consider as a new exhaust is second hand pretty quick. However I put a full stainless on A1ALL 14 years ago and 100K miles later it still looks like it will outlast the truck.

Just to confuse matters

Andy

The factory unit on mine before I bought it was 13 yrs old and had done 212,000kms. I bought a Toyo replacement complete exhaust for a humungus amount that I would be ashamed to repeat on here and after 3 years the first section has just started blowing through :doh:

I was hoping for longer. The boxes and the rest of the system look OK. I didn't have a stainless option then, but there are some manufacturers available here now. I might investigate whether he can replace it in stainless in parts, say in thirds front to back over the next couple of years.

Stainless doesn't rust, but some shake apart. I would only go with recommended places 'cos any silly bugger can string ss pipes together. It needs to be fitted, properly routed and supported and tension/stress free.

When I priced the full system I bought at MrT it was an astounding £2002 +vat.

Andy

I can now reveal that I paid the equivalent of 1,400 quid +24% vat :wtf:

Do Milner do any pipes for a petrol 80? If not there are probably pattern parts available on ebay for cheap.

Stainless is good, I'm about to put one on mine and then hopefully forget about the exhaust and not have to mess with it again, but mild steel would be a lot cheaper and easier just have to fix or replace bits of it every few years ...

Prospeed in Cardiff did a cat back system for me for £650 in full stainless and routed so its nice and tucked away. Service Was great. They have since fitted the rest of my system including custom headers and I'm very pleased with it. I can't recommend them enough really.

Are you running LPG?

Thats not bad for a stainless system Ryan ... did the headers cost much ? (if you don't mind me asking)

i need a full system from the Y peice in the wheel arch. ..

No .. i'm not running on lpg.

Hey Red,

This is from the email Charlie @ Prospeed sent me. It was two years ago so prices may have gone up a bit.

"Hi Ryan

A full 6 branch manifold will be £590.00 all inclusive of design, fitting & Vat

2 x 200 cpsi sports cats will be £460.00 all inclusive as above, OR 2 x standard 400 cpsi cats will be £379.00 all incl

A full performance cat back system, with sound & tailpipe of your choice for your Landcruiser will be £423.00 all inclusive of design, fitting & Vat

All Pro-Speed Exhausts systems are made of T304 Stainless Steel & guaranteed for the life of your vehicle.
Please give me a call for an appointment and to discuss your options further 029 2046 1444
Thanks
Charlie"

My system came in at £1250 all in due to the fake cat he built for me ( I removed my cats as I can get through my mot on LPG without them but needed something in there that represented a cat...)

I'd suggest giving him a call and have a chat about what you want. You may even be able to retain your cats....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anyone any suggestions of where to look at for a used system for my 4.5 petrol 80 series?

I think karl webster broke a petrol truck recently- you could try him.

Back