Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Experience with cheap ebay rear calipers?

I just learnt the hard way with Chinese parts, bought a set of rear lights of ebay. they were wired up back to front on thr plug and kept shorting out.
Got some toyota ones from Roughtrax no problems, wasted a full day trying to get the copy one to work.

Maybe but every time you buy a used 80 you are probably buying more pattern parts than genuine. I'm not saying don't buy non genuine but avoiding having then is probably wishful thinking. Unless you strip everything off your truck and start again. Starters, alternators, bearings, pads, exhausts, UJ's bushes ....

The problem with genuine is cost I guess and the difference in quality over price for some parts. The question here is, are these parts dangerous and if they aren't are they value for money over genuine. The problem with brakes is that even genuine ones have a tough life and don't last that well. Should you fit a new set every year for 4 years or fit a genuine set and expect them to last 4 years. Not an obvious call.

Personally I think I'd prefer to take a set of known to be genuine and have them rebuilt by, say, Bigg Red.

Maybe but every time you buy a used 80 you are probably buying more pattern parts than genuine. I'm not saying don't buy non genuine but avoiding having then is probably wishful thinking. Unless you strip everything off your truck and start again. Starters, alternators, bearings, pads, exhausts, UJ's bushes ....

The problem with genuine is cost I guess and the difference in quality over price for some parts. The question here is, are these parts dangerous and if they aren't are they value for money over genuine. The problem with brakes is that even genuine ones have a tough life and don't last that well. Should you fit a new set every year for 4 years or fit a genuine set and expect them to last 4 years. Not an obvious call.

Personally I think I'd prefer to take a set of known to be genuine and have them rebuilt by, say, Bigg Red.

Bigg Red, good call Chris.

Yes pattern parts aren't the best.

I'm a panel beater and I've had to craft many a cheap panel / bumper to an almost written off car.

Just today I had to swap out a new radiator I fitted on a VW Touran a week ago as it was leaking at the bottom crimp joint. It got another pattern radiator from Euro car parts and after rigorous testing turned out to be fine.

Sometimes people want to buy expensive genuine replacements for piece of mind, which I can understand, and sometimes do so myself! However right now I'm renovating a farmhouse so I'm spending thousands on materials etc and cant justify spending over £200 on parts that can he had for less than half that.

My cheap audi callipers are fine so ill keep an eye on these.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I ordered a set of front callipers from these guys too. Took forever to arrive as they had to call and verify me before they sent them. Was a pain, but got them 2 weeks later, which in today's instant world is crazy.

Anyway, they arrived via dpd and all fitted ok

Just looking at that site they have 80 rear calipers for £40. My rear ones need a rebuild. They're working fine but the pistons are a bit corroded and the bellows are dropping to bits. TBH for rear brakes I might just chance some of these. I can still have the others rebuilt by Bigg Red in the meantime, but it's not worth my time in the garage and the spend on parts to do them myself. The 120 ones were Aisin. These are no-name. Hmm, thinking.

That's how I saw it Chris. The rebuild kit and pistons cost more that the Refurb ones, no brainer for me.

I regret now not having Big Red powder coat the calipers they rebuilt for me - both sets of 4 , they might keep em a little longer and it might cost a bit more but worth it me thinks .

When I had mine done decorating was part of the price. Standard was silver and any other colour was an additional fee

I think that if I do get some new ones, whilst they fresh out of the box, I'd paint them with enamel or maybe Buzzweld first.

When I had mine done decorating was part of the price. Standard was silver and any other colour was an additional fee

Yeah silver or gold is standard choice so they look new on return but it don't last , they also offer for additional cost some heavy duty finishes .

Toyota also sell reconditioned callipers. Got a pair for my 5 year old hilux this summer,
Got them off Simon Holton, had to send my old ones back to him

Back