Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

extra oil cooler for 1994 autobox

It needs to be plumbed in at the point where the atf is at its hottest, ie where it leaves the auto box.

Rodney at wholesale automatics does a modified outlet union, this takes the sender from the guage, there fore giving a temperature reading as the fluid leaves the box.

I fitted one and the new valve body, and being able to manually lock the gearbox in extreme conditions made a BIG difference.

I also have 2 extra coolers fitted between the chassis rails as the intercooler prevented it being in the front of the rad

P1010365.JPG

Andy

Bat21 said:
Kiwipete said:
.... A after market transmission cooler is a good idea... but also a new valve body will do the job by locking up the gears and stopping the heat build up...

Kiwipete said:
.... I have a 1991 HDJ80 5 speed manual and have just purchased a second hand 442f Hydraulic gearbox....
Are you sure the Extreme Valve Body kt will fit the hydraulic box Pete?.... I thought they were made for the solenoid controlled one, or are they essentially the same box?

I was speaking with Wholesale Automatics just the other day and said that they do them for the old A442F Hydraulic boxes in fact he also mentioned that (in Aus anyway) they are very hard to come by as they were only produced between 1990 and 1992 so I was lucky to pick one up that very morning :) ... and yes my understanding is they are and as you said "essentially the same box"...

Crushers said:
the factory cooler is nice, any additional cooling is great since these are not cheap to fix and it won't die in your driveway but when you have the family in the car, all packed for a trip and on a busy highway and on a HOT day. picture wife and kids and dog barking at you while they are baking on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

the BEST addition you can make is the ATF temp gauge, those idiot lights are for idiots that can pull out a wallet ... cause that is what that light is telling you, damage is done.

make sure you install PRIOR to the rad and not after, important.

do a thread of the install, we all enjoy threads with pics.

I have one of these to keep an eye on the engine temp (to get around the dead spot on the factory gauge) I wonder if I got another one whether if bolted to the right place on the Transmission should give a good temp reading? For the price and easy install I think something along these lines would be perfect especially if you didn't want to fit something in the fluid lines???

http://enginewatchdog.com/tm2.html

ATF is designed to run a specific range of temps.
in colder climates if you run after the rad then the fluid is too cold to run properly in the tranny.
in your part of the country maybe it isn't as crucial but that is where i had been informed to install in the countries that get colder temps.
near the equator i doubt it would make much difference.
the temp gauge should be installed on the return line to the tranny, that is where you don't want hot ATF returning to the tranny.

no?

Crushers said:
ATF is designed to run a specific range of temps.
in colder climates if you run after the rad then the fluid is too cold to run properly in the tranny.
in your part of the country maybe it isn't as crucial but that is where i had been informed to install in the countries that get colder temps.
near the equator i doubt it would make much difference.
the temp gauge should be installed on the return line to the tranny, that is where you don't want hot ATF returning to the tranny.

no?

Thanks for that
Australia can be hot but where we are we have the extremes -7DegC Winter and high 30's Summer so I am thinking that I should use the radiator just to warm up the ATF as I do do a lot of short trips... still early days in working out what I need to do...
After I posted that I saw plenty of other transmission gauges available and will go a analogue one.. Those watchdogs are good for you engine temp though...
Cheers

Back