Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Factory fitted winch

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
My 80 has the factory fitted winch,does anyone know if the rope spools on over or under the drum. Every other winch I have had always spooled on the bottom of the drum, but this one looks like it comes over the top
I'm pretty sure the old wire came over the top as I thought it was on the wrong way round and it looks all to tight to get it between the drum and the slot at the bottom. Any advise greatly received
Thanks David

And it is important to get it the right was as typically the brake only works in one direction.

Normally winches spool in at the bottom, or in line with the feet as this is the strongest set up. Going over the top would have more potential to rip the winch off its bolts. If the control handset is marked in and out, what happens when you press 'in'? It's possible to pay a rope out, not stop and it go round the drum and back on the opposite way around. Spooling in then spools out.

When you press in the drum turns anti clockwise

That doesn't really help. Which way does the rope go, in or out. If you press in and the rope goes in onto the drum then I guess it's maybe right. If you press in and the rope comes out then it's definitely gone over.

when you press in it goes in but its over the drum not underneath like normal, dont think it will rip the bolts out as it has 4 in the bottom and 2 more in the front at the top

Well I think that answers it/ If you wind in when you press in and out when you press out, it doesn't matter if it goes over or under, it sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to. Next test is to check the brake works. If you can't pull the rope out (against the engine) then it's working. Sounds unconventional maybe, but not necessarily wrong

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for your help tbh theirs is not enough room for the rope to come out under the drum,but it still just seems wrong.I will test the brake tomorrow
Thanks David

Back