Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fire Estinguisher pressure

warrenpfo

I wondered if anyone on here new anything about fire extinguishers and the pressures they can handle. My thought was to use one as a tank for onboard air but not sure if they coulld withstand the pressure 100psi i guess?

Iirc they tested to 220psi to fail at 350.

edit from something with a keyboard:
I looked into it for the winch and air freespool as I only needed a small amount of air. Idea was to keep a small extinguisher behind the bumper (lots of space) for it running of the compressor.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Crispin is that on all extinguishers or specific ones? i.e should i be looking for a used carbon or water or powder extinguisher?

Thanks

Co2 is a lot higher I think. They should be stamped on the tank. Call your local fire company and ask for an old one. Fire department will also help. Tell them its for a project and not fire related. ;)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The company beside my unit recharge extinguishers.
I can ask them next week when they open if you haven't found out by then.
I like the idea of using them as I haven't been able to get tanks small enough to go where I want them.

BOAB had some small fire extinguisher sized air tanks, I'm using one on my 100, don't know if they still have them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The std tanks aren't very expensive to start with and come with multiple ports. By the time you have sourced an extinguisher and fannied around trying to braze connectors to it, you'll wish you'd bought one I'd suspect. You'll need a drain, safety blow off and at least one in and one out connection.

The tanks will be fine pressure wise, but will the other work that you'll have to do to it? Then you'll need to weld / braze some mounting points on as well.

This half gallon one is only £32

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/Air- ... 91005.html

That's still quite a deceptively bulky tank when you try finding somewhere to mount it. I have no desire to run air tools etc and only have a tank at all to allow the compressor to run on a bit between tyres so a small, long and thin tank behind a panel in the boot works for me. I do have a 2 gallon tank like the one you linked to but longer, sitting on a shelf in the garage and it's much too big to be useful.

Jon, I was trying to illustrate price not practicality. As you know, there are a variety of tank sizes. I wouldn't go for the one I linked to as it's so small as to be worthless. I have the 2.5 gallon tank which fits easily under the 80. A 2 gallon would be even smarter fit. But if the OP is going for a fire extinguisher, they didn't say what size. A 9 L AFFF perhaps? Or a kitchen halon (banned grr nasty, trees die blah)

Having an accumulator to let the pump run on in between tyres is entirely sensible. I'd fit a pressure switch to that also so that the pump could tick in and out on demand.

The point here is that commercial tanks are not expensive especially compared to the buggery factor in trying to make one out an old extinguisher.

Unless you are a genius of course. Wihch I is nott.

Chris

Chris said:
I'd fit a pressure switch to that also so that the pump could tick in and out on demand.
Yep, got one of those :) I agree it's not worth making a tank if you can buy one but other than the BOAB one I bought I don't think I've seen any commercially available tiny tanks :)

Your sliders are hollow aren't they Jon?

C

I hadn't seen his stuff before, very impressive.

I am going to be putting on tubular bumpers and side steps etc, so had thought of using them as tanks. But I'll probably go with the Savage ones.

They are hollow but not air tight on account of having that step plate riveted on to the box section. I have enough tank for my needs anyway otherwise I would have made space for the one in the garage.

Space on the roof?

C

Found this on the bay tonight and wondered what the thought are on using it as a cylinder for onboard air. I like the fact its light as made from composite. He has more than one and if i can get it cheap i would be happy to get 2 and 1 free.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Cylinder- ... 19cec73107

I must ask can you get air fittings that use a captive nut on the end or bolt as i am not sure how you would inset an outlet into one of these tanks.

Back