Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

First drive of a 100...3sp+OD gearboxes

Doodle

Garage
Have been giving consideration to changing from the 95 to a 100 4.2TD - it's a bit more comfortable for longer distance as I find the 95's driving position is a bit cramped.

Took one out this weekend for a spin, love the space and the driving position, and the adjustability of the AHC suspension. However, I'm struggling to get my head round the gearbox - it just seemed very ponderous and slow to react.

I'm aware that the 100 carries an extra 500kg, and that the throttle travel is a bit longer but compared to my manual 95 it seemed to take ages and need a fair amount of revs to get going despite having nearly twice the grunt. Once you were cruising it seemed fairly spritely and the gearchanges were precise and not slurred so I don't think there was anything wrong with the box

Obviously I'll need to try another one for comparison, and have a look at one with the later gearbox but am I expecting too much?

I have a 2004 1hd-fte 4.2 auto 100. You do have to floor the throttle to get it going but if you do it rockets away. From low revs if you floor the throttle the kick down into a lower gear should be instsant. I've driven the 4.7 petrol version and there did not seam to be much more power.

Time to try another one to make sure there is nothing wrong with the one you are looking at?

Frank

The 4-sp is kinda slow to pick up. The auto-box and engine are controlled by separate ECUs, and these do quite a bit of chatting before they get going. Also, the gear-changes are difficult to control, not like in most modern automatic cars.

The 5-sp version is much snappier. There is one common ECU for engine and gearbox, with more processing power. And the algorithms are changed to the better - the IP is controlled differently - altogether a better package.

Also, with the 4-sp, you have to check that it doesn't have the converter problem.

Interested in this.

Is the 5 speed, the wiggle box?

Gra.

My other chariot is an old Merc V8 with a 4sp hydraulic auto - maybe I just need to get my head round it then.

If/when I do upgrade I was looking at 2001 onwards to get the better front diffs, sounds like I should avoid most of the TQ washer issues too provided I check carefully. From the sounds of things the later gearbox is much more polished, but to get one requires a lot more outlay, and then I'd be afraid (albeit only a little) about bashing it off road.

Yep I find the 100 auto box very sluggish too, and its the new 5SP. It was very noticeable after driving my 80 series manual. If you really put foot, it does go, but a gentle squeeze on the pedal does little to get it going.

I drove a 105 petrol manual and that was completely different! Instant go.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have to drive Steph's 100 with a light foot, doesn't take a lot of input to get that moving and it goes down a gear without much extra throttle input.

... From the sounds of things the later gearbox is much more polished, but to get one requires a lot more outlay, and then I'd be afraid (albeit only a little) about bashing it off road.
If you need it for offroading, the 4-sp will do. No probs. It's solid and reliable (so is the 5-sp) and when you know about the delay, you plan ahead and drive accordingly. You don't need to be first across the junction when the light changes to green (even only yellow maybe?) out in the bush.

Not specifically, it's more intended to be a do-it-all. Commute to work, play in the dirt at the weekends, and then several trips a year to my dad's place in northern Italy to haul back a load of Peroni. The 95 manages the first 2 fine but it's no good for distance work, the seating position is too cramped.

I don't tend to hurry in the 95 though, that's what the SL and the Ducati are for! :lol:

Have been giving consideration to changing from the 95 to a 100 4.2TD - it's a bit more comfortable for longer distance as I find the 95's driving position is a bit cramped.

Took one out this weekend for a spin, love the space and the driving position, and the adjustability of the AHC suspension. However, I'm struggling to get my head round the gearbox - it just seemed very ponderous and slow to react.

I'm aware that the 100 carries an extra 500kg, and that the throttle travel is a bit longer but compared to my manual 95 it seemed to take ages and need a fair amount of revs to get going despite having nearly twice the grunt. Once you were cruising it seemed fairly spritely and the gearchanges were precise and not slurred so I don't think there was anything wrong with the box

Obviously I'll need to try another one for comparison, and have a look at one with the later gearbox but am I expecting too much?

My 100 was like that before I had the injection pump serviced. I wouldn't want my 100 (3 spd with OD) any quicker than it is, given it's size. Maybe the one you drove needed a fuel filter or the injectors cleaning??

Maybe, it had good history and had been recently serviced. For reference, this was the one I looked at - it's more money than I'd want to spend unless it was for a vehicle with the later gearbox.

As I said before, once you were up to a reasonble speed it seemed to gather pace ok, but at lower speed it just seemed very hard work to get going.

Will have to see if I can find a few more to look at.

Maybe, it had good history and had been recently serviced. For reference, this was the one I looked at - it's more money than I'd want to spend unless it was for a vehicle with the later gearbox.

As I said before, once you were up to a reasonble speed it seemed to gather pace ok, but at lower speed it just seemed very hard work to get going.

Will have to see if I can find a few more to look at.

I'm between Windsor and Maidenhead if you want to take mine for a drive you are welcome too. It has the later gear box but has also been slightly modified with 285's and a front and rear ARB bar so is caring some extra weight along with OME suspension so the ride is a little harder but there is less wallow. Like wise happy to join you if you want a second opinion on a vehicle and we can plug my computer in to see if there are and fault codes prior to purchase.

Warren, that could be very useful, thank you. I'll have to re-read your build thread, I wasn't thinking to get rid of the AHC (barring total failure/uneconomic repair) as I was quite happy with how it performed (and won't be venturing into the wilds of Africa where it would be a liability) but I'm aware I may need to refresh tired stock springs?

Last edited:
That blue one looks in very nice condition, and a great service history.

Barely worn in!

Ive been thinking along exactly the same lines, changing the 95 for a 100, but the ones Ive looked at havent been anywhere near as nice as that.

Pete

It's not bad, although it's pretty stonechipped on the nose and flanks. AHC seemed to move promptly, didn't bother checking the reservoir. Couple of slight digs on the interior, and the gas struts on the bonnet are knackered and don't hold the bonnet up.

Lucy likes the idea of an Amazon and the space it offers, and pointed out that it's a worthwhile upgrade from our 95 where a 120 just feels like a slightly newer version of what we already had. Hopefully it should hold money better than my E-class too.

Last edited:
I bought a 53 plate V8 with a 5 speed wiggle box , 109000 miles , and LPG conversion for £11600. Mine has a few more marks on bumpers , which I will get sprayed , and needs the alloys refurbished. Apart from that in very good condition. I went from a 4.2TD 80 series 4 speed and the differece is amazing, smoother changes and bags of power.

ps in size it is bigger than the 80 and the ride is fantastic.

paul c

Unfortunately for me, LPG is out - I go to Europe quite often and not being able to use the Eurotunnel would be a right pain, and the limited range would become annoying.

I'm selling a 12v auto 80 series and have driven two 100's with the 4 spd box, one with 58k miles and one with 180k miles.

The 80 is quite a but lighter and feels it - it's a bit slow over the first ten yds then it's off and up to 40-50 mph leaves most traffic away from the lights without going over 2.5k rpm.

Both 100's had significantly more inertia at low speed but the extra power was very noticeable once up and running. The 58k car was immaculate and did respond strongly even at low speed to a big throttle opening. The 180k car was a little less snappy at low speed.

The 5 speed autos are significantly more expensive but there's a black one on Autotrader, in Bedford, 96k one owner for less than £17k.

....The 58k car was immaculate and did respond strongly even at low speed to a big throttle opening. The 180k car was a little less snappy at low speed.....
The EGR makes the inlet pipes clog up quite severely, depending on use (less with only long hauls / Autostrada). First thing to do is to open up and clean out the crud, then block the EGR. Also makes the catalyser clog up until it is completely blocked.

The 80 is quite a but lighter and feels it - it's a bit slow over the first ten yds then it's off and up to 40-50 mph leaves most traffic away from the lights without going over 2.5k rpm.

I was surprised, the 80 is much closer to the weight of my 95 than I had expected. The 95 is reasonably sharp off the line (although 1st is very short so you have to be quick on the gearshift) and I think that's part of what confused me. I'll try being a bit more "generous" with the throttle on the next test drive.

As you say, the 5sp cars are much more expensive. £10k-ish for a 51/02 plate car I can justify no problem (and should avoid much of the drivetrain issues) but £17k+ starts to push things back for a couple more years.

Back