First tank of added acetone - results

G

Guest

Guest
Well, my first tankful with added acetone (~120 cc in 80 litres)
returned 499.7 miles for a usage of 80.27 litres of diesel, or about
28.26 mpg. There was no discernible difference in the way the truck
drove.

The previous two tankfuls (without acetone) gave 27.1 and 27.9 mpg so,
on the face of it there is a small improvement, but nothing to get too
excited about and you could argue that this result is within the bounds
of normal variation.

However this last tankful included about 150 miles worth of short
journeys in cold weather which, based on previous experience, would
normally have yielded nearer 27mpg; so you could argue that the
improvement is about 4.5%. However it will need a lot more tanks' worth
of data before I can confirm or deny that figure.


One further item of interest: yesterday I got the following email from
Ebay:

Dear Christopher Bell ([Email address removed]),
Please be aware that the following listing:
Item Number - 8247750774
Item Title - Pure Acetone 5 litres
has been removed by eBay for breaching of one or more of our
policies. Any offers or bids placed on this listing are now null and
void. We advise you not to finalize this transaction with the seller. As
stated in the eBay User Agreement, neither seller nor buyer should
engage in transactions that breach the law or eBay policy.
Please review eBay's Prohibited and Restricted Items guidelines
and User Agreement at the following locations:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/item_allowed.html
<http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/item_allowed.html>
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/user-agreement.html
<http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/user-agreement.html>
We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
As far as I can see the seller was doing nothing wrong as he stated
clearly that it was a hazardous material, and it arrived, well packaged,
by courier. And there's nothing illegal about acetone. But obviously
Ebay got twitched, and if anyone wants to buy some they will have to
look elsewhere!
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT
____________________________________________________________
Electronic mail messages entering and leaving Arup business
systems are scanned for acceptability of content and viruses
 
G

Guest

Guest
Hi Christopher
What that will say 28.26 in km/l?I try to calculate with my Mac's
dashboard but the result doesn't make sense at all :-(
And other thing-aren't you afraid you could damage the engine with
such experiments(maybe destroying the valves) and that could be VERY
expensive reparation compare to the 'savings' on that acetone.
Or maybe is just a pure curiosity and the child still lives in
you :))))))
Lubo
96HDJ80
Oslo
On Feb 18, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Christopher Bell wrote:
> Well, my first tankful with added acetone (~120 cc in 80 litres)
> returned 499.7 miles for a usage of 80.27 litres of diesel, or
> about 28.26 mpg. There was no discernible difference in the way
> the truck drove.
>
> The previous two tankfuls (without acetone) gave 27.1 and 27.9 mpg
> so, on the face of it there is a small improvement, but nothing to
> get too excited about and you could argue that this result is
> within the bounds of normal variation.
>
> However this last tankful included about 150 miles worth of short
> journeys in cold weather which, based on previous experience, would
> normally have yielded nearer 27mpg; so you could argue that the
> improvement is about 4.5%. However it will need a lot more tanks'
> worth of data before I can confirm or deny that figure.
>
>
> One further item of interest: yesterday I got the following email
> from Ebay:
>
> Dear Christopher Bell ([Email address removed]),
>
> Please be aware that the following listing:
>
> Item Number - 8247750774
>
> Item Title - Pure Acetone 5 litres
>
> has been removed by eBay for breaching of one or more of our
> policies. Any offers or bids placed on this listing are now null
> and void. We advise you not to finalize this transaction with the
> seller. As stated in the eBay User Agreement, neither seller nor
> buyer should engage in transactions that breach the law or eBay
> policy.
>
> Please review eBay's Prohibited and Restricted Items guidelines and
> User Agreement at the following locations:
>
> http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/item_allowed.html
>
> http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/user-agreement.html
>
> We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
>
> As far as I can see the seller was doing nothing wrong as he stated
> clearly that it was a hazardous material, and it arrived, well
> packaged, by courier. And there's nothing illegal about acetone.
> But obviously Ebay got twitched, and if anyone wants to buy some
> they will have to look elsewhere!
>
> Christopher Bell
>
> Devon, UK
>
> 1996 1HD-FT
>
> ____________________________________________________________
> Electronic mail messages entering and leaving Arup business
> systems are scanned for acceptability of content and viruses
 
G

Guest

Guest
Lubo
Hi Christopher
What that will say 28.26 in km/l?I try to calculate with my
Mac's dashboard but the result doesn't make sense at all :-(
And other thing-aren't you afraid you could damage the engine
with such experiments(maybe destroying the valves) and that could be
VERY expensive reparation compare to the 'savings' on that acetone.
Or maybe is just a pure curiosity and the child still lives in
you :))))))
Lubo

28.26 miles per gallon works out as 9.96 km/l, or 10.04 l / 100km.

As far as damage goes - well I suppose you could be right, but there
seems to be a good body of evidence that it doesn't do any harm (see
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
<http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/> )

Also I reckon the concentration of 0.15% is unlikely to have much
effect... rightly or wrongly there's another 120 ccs in there as I
write!

CB
____________________________________________________________
Electronic mail messages entering and leaving Arup business
systems are scanned for acceptability of content and viruses
 
G

Guest

Guest
Well
I have checked mine and it burns 15l per 147km-almost the same-but it
was 'long' distance running...
Cheers
Lubo
On Feb 19, 2006, at 7:46 PM, Christopher Bell wrote:
> Lubo
>
> Hi Christopher
> What that will say 28.26 in km/l?I try to calculate with my Mac's
> dashboard but the result doesn't make sense at all :-(
> And other thing-aren't you afraid you could damage the engine with
> such experiments(maybe destroying the valves) and that could be
> VERY expensive reparation compare to the 'savings' on that acetone.
> Or maybe is just a pure curiosity and the child still lives in
> you :))))))
> Lubo
>
> 28.26 miles per gallon works out as 9.96 km/l, or 10.04 l / 100km.
>
> As far as damage goes - well I suppose you could be right, but
> there seems to be a good body of evidence that it doesn't do any
> harm (see http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/
> 2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/)
>
> Also I reckon the concentration of 0.15% is unlikely to have much
> effect... rightly or wrongly there's another 120 ccs in there as I
> write!
>
> CB
> ____________________________________________________________
> Electronic mail messages entering and leaving Arup business
> systems are scanned for acceptability of content and viruses
 
Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here
G

Guest

Guest
Lubo

Well
I have checked mine and it burns 15l per 147km-almost the
same-but it was 'long' distance running...
Cheers
Lubo
I think that's pretty good in your climate, as I reckon these engines
are over-cooled.

I noticed this yesterday taking my daughter back to school. I was
trundling up the M5 in pouring rain at 65mph and got bored of being
stuck behind the spray of someone doing the same speed, so I accelerated
up to 80 to get past.

The heat round my feet suddenly got noticeably hotter which, I would
contend, suggests over-cooling at the power output required to push it
along at 65 mph. I suppose it could also be due to the increased
airflow through the heater at the higher speed, but it definitely felt
hotter and not just windier.

Maybe an electric fan should be the next item in my quest for fuel
economy!

CB
____________________________________________________________
Electronic mail messages entering and leaving Arup business
systems are scanned for acceptability of content and viruses
 
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks