Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fishing rod & reel etc

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Well in preparing for a trans-Africa trip, I've been thinking I'll do some fishing en route. Mostly beach fishing I reckon.

I am looking for a rod and reel and associated weights etc. I'm sure any old rod will do but wonder what I should be looking for. 13ft rods? 15ft? dont want to spend a fortune but I guess I'll keep the rod so might as well get one that lasts.

Done some fishing when I was younger so know the basics. I dont plan on living off what I catch. Just for a bit of relaxation while we've got some downtime. fishing.gif

Is there a kit I can get that includes most of what I need? :think:

Go and have a look in Aldi, they did have some carp set ups for £18. A few extra bits and it will do.

Paul

Beach casting? or just lobbing the bait off some rocks.

for beach casting you will need a 13-15ft rod, for slamming the weight far out.
will you be using spinning lures or just weights and baited hooks.

i seem to remember multiplier are recommended for beach casting, but they can result in immense birdnests if you get overrun of the spool once the line hits the water.

when i used to beach fish, i had an old 2nd hand 13ft rod and used a normal spinning reel.

these days i fly fish for trout and salmon with 9ft and 13ft rods

This could be a whole can of worms. It all depends on what sort of water you are fishing. Yes, I know it's the sea. If you are fishing live bait and want to hold the bottom and it's pretty rough, you'll need to be able to cast an 8oz lead at least on your rig. Cheap big rods have very little feel and in hard swell, you will get all your bait nibbled off and never feel a thing. If it's light swell and fishing from rocks, then a lighter rod and a spinner might do. It's a massive question to be honest. You really want a sort of multi-purpose rod. I wouldn't go with a multiplier reel, just get a standard one. Then you need to decide on what line you need.....

My recommendation would be get there and see what local fishermen are using, find a fishing shack and buy it there!

Chris

Kevin,
I reckon you need a cheapo 13ft 4-piece so that you can pack it up. Suggest using a normal "coffee-grinder" spinning reel, which is much cheaper than a multiplier and much easier to use if you're not proficient with a multiplier.
You'll need sinkers, swivels and a selection of hooks and maybe some lures (rapalas, spoons, spinners).

Seems like quite a bit of extra kit (if you go the 13 ft) to take for some casual entertainment. Maybe consider a smaller, lighter spinning rod (9ft-ish) instead - it won't give you the length of cast or the ability to use heavy tackle but you're not going to be trying to haul great whites onto the beach, so not a big deal. The spinning rod will make casting lures much easier and more pleasant.

Cheers,

Would personally go for a telescopic spinning rod. Quick to pack away, easy to hide from "authorities" asking if you have a fishing permit, and easy to use, too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back