Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitted new tyres and wheels . Are they too big?

Steve H

Country Flag
uk
Need a bit of advice with my Colorado 95. I took off a set of MK3 Surf wheels ( 16x7jj 15 fitted with 265/70x16 tyres) and fitted some five spoke wheels from another Surf (16x8jj 0 with 275/70 x16 tyres). These are aftermarket wheels. The front wheels are General grabbers UHP and the back wheels are Falken AT's. The offside front tyre rubs on the mudflap and inner arch liner on 3/4 to full right lock but the nearside only just touches on full left lock. This makes me think that the camber/caster angles are out and probably need setting up properly. I have checked for play in all the joints and bushes and cannot find anything wrong. The truck has covered 167000+ miles. I want to buy a pair of tyres to match the Grabbers but am I better off getting four 265/70 tyres to fit instead? I really like the look of the bigger tyres but it is our daily drive and come MOT time will it fail? Any thoughts or ideas? :think: I had the alignment checked about three years ago and on the printout there is no reading for caster just camber and toe in/out. I am thinking of fittng a set of polybushes to the wishbones to rule them out.

Thanks Steve

I've got 265/75R16 Hankook ATs on 80 alloys (16X8jj) and they also seem to rub more on right lock than left....... :?

However they've been on now for 2 MOTs and it's never been a problem yet. :thumbup:

With my wheels, as well right lock rubs a little on the mud flap but left lock doesn't rub at all... Maybe is needs to be tracked?

The 95 has a fixed caster, so there wouldnt be a reading.

It needs to be adjusted by setting the camber/toe settings.

My 95 is running tall, skinny tyres (255/85R16's). In order for them to fit the front mudflaps had to be removed and the trailing edge of the inner liner, so sounds like you need to do similar.

You have changed the offset by 15mm with the new tyres, the tyres now sit further out.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the replies. I am going to get the front suspension setup checked after I have fitted the new bushes. Reading SAE70's post about his tyres it seems that the caster can be adjusted. I also failed to mention that the offside front wheel to rear wheel centre measures 105 inches where as the nearside measures 105.5 inches so some thing is out somewhere. I am hoping to measure chassis points tommorow and check it out properly.

I would also recommend checking the steering rack ends for play before you have the alignment done. If the tie rod inners or ends need replacing you will have to get the alignment done again, so you could save yourself a few quid. Same goes for lower control arm bushes - these are slightly more difficult to check, but can be checked for play with the wheels in the air and a long pry bar.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the heads up about the track rod ends and the like, Fridayman. Didn't get chance to get under the truck today as it was raining by the time I had finished running about this morning. Just have to wait until it stops raining or see if I can use the warehouse at work one night. :whistle:

Back