Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fitting a transmission cooler

iow_bob

Country Flag
north_korea
Hi

I've just bought a swb prado auto and want to remove some of the heat from the cooling system to help the old girl keep herself cool ..

So along with a 76c thermostat and oil for the viscous fan i want to add an external transmission cooler ,

now i've got a transmisson rad and plan on mounting it side on so hot auto fluid in at top and cool fluid out at bottom ,
But my question is which pipe is the feed and which is the return on a standard rad ?

I've not loked at it so it may be obvious but thought i'd ask first

I also plan on adding a fan ontop of the intercooler .

I've already done a 40mm bodylift and a full ironman suspension lift , 24v 80 series alloys and im now waiting on my 285/75/16 tyres to arive

Last edited:
Hi Bob the top is the hot pipe on the rad , looking forward to seeing some pics :thumbup:

I thought the transmission lines were along th bottom of the radiator.

I've also got a snorkel to fit .
And i plan on fabricating my own underbody protection for this one .

Once i figure out how to add pics i will

Ah yes i misunderstood the question sorry i don't have an auto so i don't know which way the oil cooler lines go .

My rad does have the option to run oil through the bottom but if i was adding an oil cooler i would keep it separate because rads have been known to corrode and fail allowing oil and coolant to mix .

Once i figure out how to add pics i will

Press 'upload a file'
Navigate to your chosen file and select
Your thumbnail appears just below the input box
click whether you want it to appear full or thumbnail (full is best)
Make sure the cursor is where you want the pic to be
Hey presto
normal_Land_Rover_Oil_Leak.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good ideas on keeping the motor cool.

Trace the lines back to the autobox, the top line is the return, the bottom line is the feed. Will you running your trans cooler inline or keeping it separate? I ran mine separate and no longer use the coolant rad. In a event my rad fails I have the hoses to connect them back. If I was in a cold climate I would have opted to run it inline. Here's a pic of what I done.

IMG_8455.JPG
IMG_8460.JPG

I'll be running it seperate to the cooling system . Don't want to risk autobox and antifreeze ever mixing .

Tyres are on route . i just need to figure out how to mount a 285 on the back door

Depends on the wheel offset , i needed spacers to bring a zero offset 16x8 off the mount a bit . Be careful when you open the door with the oversize spare mounted because some tyres will crush against the upper tail lights .

Looking good. The bodylift on top of suspension lift makes a big difference. I just have a 50mm SL and it looks a lot more standard (although it's hard to compare without its proper boots on)

I've often wondered whether those Japanese-style wing mirrors are at all helpful?

Exciting times :thumbup: your new tyres will lift it another couple of inches which for me took it into a different giggle factor league :D

The tyres arrived yesterday .
They are being fitted today .

I've just gotta put it all back together .

I bought it last month and I'm just going through the car replacing everything .

Cambelt , waterpump , 76c thermostat , New belts , Front and rear brakes , diffs transfer and gearbox oils , fully servicing it .
Fit all the extra parts ive bought to keep it cool .
Fit a fan on intercooler and figure out a way to have it switching on and off.
Then fit my snorkel ☺

I'm even tempted to put a new radiator on it but it doesn't look that old

Last edited:
The exhaust down pipe (dump pipe) is something to look at mate whoever designed it should be shot .

Its just a crap design it kinda twists and is very restrictive , possibly a heat builder .

I should say the dump pipe has never (as far as i'm aware) been listed as a problem and most still run with it but having changed my own and felt the improvement ...........

:thumbup: i think i measured my roof height to be 6ft 6" you soon get used to it , i would say it actually makes it easier to drive but reversing is a bugger when you can only see the top inch of roof (if that) through the rear window .

Back