Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FJ40 in Northumberland

Strider222

Country Flag
great_britain
Thought it was time to say hello to you guys. I think I might be the only one up here in Northumberland that has a FJ40 on the road. Here it is after it's recent respray at the back end of 2015. Spent the past couple of winters sorting out various things on it i.e. complete new brakes, new spring shackles, re-underseal and numerous other things to bring it up to a very good standard but not concours. It's a 1982 LX model that I bought in Saudi Arabia in 1983, so that makes it 33 years I've owned it and I reckon it's been on the road for about 8 years max, the rest of the time it's been in the garage while I've worked abroad. Put it back on the road a few weeks ago, I'm planning a road trip around England later this year after that I reckon I'll sell it to fund something else, probably another bike.
DSCN0443.jpg

Thought it was time to say hello to you guys. I think I might be the only one up here in Northumberland that has a FJ40 on the road. Here it is after it's recent respray at the back end of 2015. Spent the past couple of winters sorting out various things on it i.e. complete new brakes, new spring shackles, re-underseal and numerous other things to bring it up to a very good standard but not concours. It's a 1982 LX model that I bought in Saudi Arabia in 1983, so that makes it 33 years I've owned it and I reckon it's been on the road for about 8 years max, the rest of the time it's been in the garage while I've worked abroad. Put it back on the road a few weeks ago, I'm planning a road trip around England later this year after that I reckon I'll sell it to fund something else, probably another bike.View attachment 96422

Hi Strider and welcome to this most friendly of forums. Great intro and love the truck. I really like the 40s in that colour it really seems to suit them. I'd love one but my wife wants new windows…and a new kitchen…and a new bathroom and she's waited 8 years so I guess she has a point. :)

Hi and welcome love the old 40/s that is a good looking cruiser from Tony.

Hi Striker,

Welcome. It's always great to see more 40s on the forum!
With approximately 8 years on the road during your ownership, it must be quite low mileage. LXs are reasonably rare too, so when you decide to sell it, it's going to make someone very happy.
However, we do need more photos!

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As requested here's some more pics of my in it's current condition, I'm hoping to get it professionally valued soon to give me a better idea of what it's worth.
DSCN0425.jpg
DSCN0427.jpg
DSCN0429.jpg
DSCN0410.jpg
DSCN0445.jpg

For a professional evaluation? I'd say around £1000. I'll give you £1200 tomorrow :D

Stunning example :)

That is beautiful.
A credit to you.

Aircon? But what is the third leaver for? I haven't seen that before.

Thanks for posting the photos

Regards,

When I brought it back from Saudi Arabia in 1985 I bought a Fairey Overdrive with the idea of improving the fuel consumption of the 2F engine, after alot of trials I managed to improve the fuel consumption by 1 MPG!!! But it definitely makes driving alot nicer with the over-drive selected. Having 16 forward gears and 8 reverse gives you alot of choice!

Aah, an overdrive. I should have thought of that.
With 16F and 8R your mpg may not have increased too much but you could probably move a mountain with it!

I find myself returning to your photos time and again. It is such a pleasure to a 40 in that condition. Thank you.

I need a lotto win! smashing 40, thanks for sharing it with us :)

Very very nice.
If that was mine I'd struggle to part with it!

It's been sitting in my garage for way too long, it just doesn't get used, like I said, I'll do my road trip and then it'll be time for the FJ to go somewhere else where it'll be enjoyed.

Back