Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

found this on autotrader.

NO NO & NO, that's Chequered flag masscarading under a different name if i'm not mistaken.

Ad style did look similar.

Also note cat C insurance damaged repaired.

Ad style did look similar.

Also note cat C insurance damaged repaired. Which means it had enough of damage to need an inspection at some stage in its life.

Would be good to know reason and do careful inspection of the repaired area.

C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.
Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's no doubt they have an "interesting" set up there. However, it doesn't mean that any/all vehicle(s) from there will be a bad vehicle. They have a lot of 80's, just take someone who knows 80's and there you go. And be prepared to haggle hard and walk away if neccessary. Also make sure the engine number and the VIN plate matches, obviously HPI check it and go from there. Common sense really, you don't need to take any more precautions dealing with those guys than you should anywhere else. I've dealt with them several times and yes, they are rough people, but if you can call a spade a spade you can get on with them.

Mike, I don't think people are saying their vehicles are bad per se - it's more that they are serious rip-off merchants charging way over the top. The real kick in the nuts is that the trucks are often not that great. It's one thing to charge a premium price for the absolute best 80s remaining but extortionate prices for dogs is beyond the pale.

Their rough manner and misleading (dishonest?) descriptions don't help their cause or reputation. I think it's fair that everyone is screaming warnings to anyone considering one of their vehicles. My 2c ;)

Yeah that's fair enough Andrew. But it's only a "rip off" if you choose to pay what they ask, no one is twisting your arm.

You just have to deal with them in the way they deal with you ie no courtesy, no professionalism,, blunt, to the point, and take everything they say with a pinch of salt. If a vehicle is decent, just haggle and walk away if you think it's too much, but lets face it, when you're talking abut vehicles which are 15 years old plus, things can and do go wrong with them which isn't neccessarily the fault of the seller. If something is deliberately hidden, that's a different story of course.

My point was that just because they have a bad reputation doesn't mean you'll end up with a bad vehicle from them. They're the kind of people who expect you to haggle pretty hard, and if you don't, I'd imagine they'll just think "sucker". I have to say that the times I've dealt with them it's been pretty straightforward albeit without much humour or pleasure.

i can remember a couple of years ago, a friend of mine rang them about a patrol they had for sale, it was the best and cleanest car they had ever had, loads of history and mot, new tyres and 1 owner, sounded great. he rang them again later in the week and enquired again, still the best car in the world and it had been washed and polished that week ready for inspection. he rang them again on the friday and a date for viewing was set for the next day. he picked me up early morning off we went, took couple of hours to get there which we didnt mind for this was the best car in the world.......

complete DOG!!!!!!!

dirty, rusty, very tired, with incomplete service history and no mot..
yes there was new tyres but in my opinion there were very cheap china crap but that still made them worth more than the car.

when we complained about travelling down to see this shed was not the best patrol in the world we were told that there had been a mix up and the good one was sold and this was the other one they had. i asked if they swapped plates because this was the one in the ad that we had rang about, there was no response.

he did however give us some advice......buy this one at this price because with a wash and a polish the price will go up because patrols are in demand and the prices are rocketing.!

my reaction, the price of this car with a wash a polish and a made up service history will not go up for as long as i have a hole in my arse!

my advice,, steer well clear even if its cheap because they will have bought it very cheap and tried to make it look good to sell for thousands and tell you anything to get you there..

this is only my opinion from my own dealing with them, im not always or even sometimes right but everyone has to be at least once, dont they?

:shifty:

A while ago he was advertising an 80 for 10.5K that had days before sold on eBay for just over 6K, when I phoned and very politely (I was polite :thumbup: ) if it was the same vehicle, he asked if I was interested in buying I said no, not at your prices, I was met with a torrent of abuse and foul language :o a reply like that to a simple question and response was enough to stop me ever dealing with him.

j555fjr said:
i can remember a couple of years ago, a friend of mine rang them about a patrol they had for sale, it was the best and cleanest car they had ever had, loads of history and mot, new tyres and 1 owner, sounded great. he rang them again later in the week and enquired again, still the best car in the world and it had been washed and polished that week ready for inspection. he rang them again on the friday and a date for viewing was set for the next day. he picked me up early morning off we went, took couple of hours to get there which we didnt mind for this was the best car in the world.......
This is a pretty regular tactic of theirs and that was my point - no-one denies a SHCS (2nd hand car salesman) the right to bargain hard. But fraudulent descriptions are against the law as it so happens. Throw in the rudeness and you have a dodgy dealer with no redeeming features.

We all know that 80s are uncommon at best and there are very few genuinely mint ones that come up to market. For one dealer to magically have a stock of 8-10 of the "best ones left in the UK, if not the world" is simply too much of a coincidence. I have no gripe with high prices being charged for good ones - if they sell at those prices then they're worth it. But a knackered old workhorse with an air freshener, a polish and some photocopied history is not mint, even in Yorkshire :mrgreen: And many people including members of our club have been suckered into travelling long distances to see one of these showpieces only to discover that they've arrived on the set of junkyard wars.

Back