Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fridge Drop Slide

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Guys, I'm lookmng for a fridge drop slide. Boab have none in stock and won't have until probably early next year.

It's for a 50L fridge.

Anyone have one they dont use/want any more??

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Still waiting for the 'Gav-zilla' one to come to a Land Cruiser near me soon :lol:

Is this for the 80 in SA? Thought they had a local version out there now?

Still waiting for the 'Gav-zilla' one to come to a Land Cruiser near me soon :lol:

Is this for the 80 in SA? Thought they had a local version out there now?

Yes for that one. Nothing in SA other than a Heath-Robinson contraption that doesn't work particularly well.

Uys van Rooyen made a prototype in 2009, but seems to have gone to ground. Sent him a few messages and emails but nada.
R&D have made a tilt slide, but not a great idea for what I want.

Someone must have an old one they don't want... me pay good money !!

Have you not got a fab man who could make one Lazz? A few on here have made them. Hmmm, might get the thing out for sticking metal together :lol:

Karl,

The problem with the home-made items, as they are one-offs, and are expensive to make... or they are a bit of a "Heath-Robinson" affair. The MSA is just over £300.

MSA make a robust, simple slide that works very well. All the others I've seen are very fiddly, unlock, lift, latch, pull, slide, latch, then drop.
I assume MSA patents have prevented a direct copy of their simple, unlock, slide, drop.

I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got any pics Lazz? One offs are expensive generally, but there are exceptions. I made a fridge slide in a morning - dead easy. It works and looks tidy. Anything square and simple doesn't generally take a lot of effort. It's twiddly bits that take the time. Might be that one of these drop things isn't so hard.

Chris

Hmm, I get some of that, but need to go outside with some strips of steel and have a play. £300 odd is outrageous really.

It's basically a std in and out slide with some pivots. Not saying it's easy to get those all right, but in terms of materials and processes, it's nothing. As we have said many times, you pay for the thinking not the making.

Chris

The principle is simple but the devil is in the details. The MSA's are nice but they are very heavy. There are gas struts to assist lifting the fridge back up / smooth lowering it. By the time you've sorted all the details and think about doing it on a commercial basis it's not hard to see how they end up with the price tag they do.

I know what you're saying Jon. I'm just having ideas which may be simpler than that. But they may not suit everyone.

Chris

They are an interesting project, bit of lateral thinking called for I think. I would use a different approach to the MSA although it would still involve a swinging platform but it would lower and raise as part of pulling the slide in and out instead of messing about with that lever which can be a PITA if there's not much room above the fridge i.e. tailgate which is usually the case if you're needing a drop slide. Just haven't got round to seeing if the reality is as good as the idea seems though, probably some vital element I've missed.

Gents, I'll be watching this with interest.

You're both right, the principle is simple enough, but getting the slide to work effectively and smoothly is the difficulty.

Bear in mind it has to carry a fridge that prob weighs 50+kg loaded it needs to be robustly built.

There is a much simpler tilt slide that some use, but that leaves the fridge "hanging" at an angle.... Not ideal and quite dangerous should it fall.

Good 'ol Tapatalk

I doubt I'll build one for a while but I did do some very rough sketches. I think the commercial ones are missing a trick and should have the pivot links raised up. Bit like an upside down rocker mechanism.

Back