Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fridges

stumog

Country Flag
england
Need some input please.
I am about to pull the plug on a national luma fridge there will be 3 adults and small child and space wise want to go 60l
Should i go for the split fridge freezer or just fridge?
I dont like running out of cold beer so will the small fridge in the split be enough room?
How useful will the frezzer part be? Would be nice to have ice cream and meat will last a lot longer as you just take out what you want tin the morning to defrost.

thoughts on both please.
Stu

We use a 50l for two adults and I reckon we'd struggle if it was much smaller, especially if stocking with drinks. I've also always regretted not getting a fridge/freezer as it would be very handy to have a freezer for the reasons you mention. I guess the main consideration is how long you want/need to be able to survive without visiting a shop to restock and what proportion of your desired foodstuff requires refrigeration. Most fresh stuff won't last much beyond 5-7 days in a fridge and meat often less. For us the primary benefit of a freezer would be for meat. Being able to keep some ice creams in there is just a bonus.

For 3 adults and a small child I reckon you might struggle to last beyond 2 days with 60l of split capacity if you like your fresh stuff and/or lots of cold drinks. In which case you may be better opting for just the fridge and gaining at least an extra day of capacity which is still okay for meat.

I now use a 50l waeco fridge/freezer as a fridge and a smaller 18l one as a freezer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

him so many things to take in to consideration i cant really think you waould want to freeze that must to be fair they 50l has a 40l fridge and 10l freezer which seems a much better ratio as the larger ones are 40:60 is which is just to much. maybe like andy a 50l fridge and a smaller seperate freezer would be better then if you get a break down on one you have a back up as well.
stu

I thought that with the twin units you could set them up as both being freezers?

I have done trips in Botswana with a 80l NL set as a freezer with the meat at the bottom and fridge and cold drinks at the top which worked ok as long as you pre-froze the meat due to the hight ambient temperatures.

Other mates ran 2x 35/40 litre fridge / freezers which worked very well except his batteries could not keep up. Personally, I like the idea of 2 compartments.

Yes you can set both at a certain temperature.
Thanks Dylan I thought I had made up my mind but you have added and thought.
Stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would folks typically wire into the LC electrics or carry out an extra third btty for the fridge?

If one is parked up through most of the day and night, on the LC electric can't be good. Unless there is a solar charger keeping things rocking.

I have a 195a/h 3rd battery and 100w solar panel and ctek split charge system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Engel and it will run for days on a 100 amp leisure battery, without a recharge

50 litre fridge and 11 litre freezer (as a centre armrest) is our approach - the freezer can of course be set as a fridge if we want the extra capacity. we run both off the two normal batteries in the 100 c/w a 80W solar panel. We also carry a hook-up cable and ctek 12v charger if we want to (can do) connect up to a camp power. My personal philosophy is that every truck has a decent power generator (ie alternator) and we shouldn't be afraid to use it to charge the batteries in camp if we have to. To ensure i can start I have a IBS split charge controller. If you can get an insulating blanket for your fridge then it will improve its efficiency (a little). Keep the car as cool as possible (solar blinds/park in shade) and allow the hot air to vent out if you can - say by the sun roof/window gap, all will help the compressor duty cycle. As you can tell I'm not a great fan of carrying a third battery.....but it is a personal thing

I've used river water to cool beers either before drinking or to get nearer to the right temperature before loading into the fridge. Even some hot places have really low overnight temps - e.g. deserts - you may be able to use that fact......why load your fridge with warm beers if you don't have to? A wet flannel or dish-cloth will also cool things down through evaporation....if you have the time/inclination.

In terms of protecting your batteries I would suggest that you look at all electrical loads whilst you're parked up.....use of LED courtesy lights......don't run your stereo.....don't run you're AUX setting.....do you need that big camp lantern? Have your 12V purely for those things you want to power around camp and minimise other power 'leaks' By the same token I never use an inverter - highly inefficient.

I am also planning in my build to include a small solar powered fan that circulates the air around the fridge when the loading bay is fully loaded. If u cool the local environment where the fridge is located, that can only improve its performance IMO

I have a fully contained solar powered reversible fan unit which I have been thinking about letting into the gull wing door next tot he fridge actually for just that reason

The only issue with that is if you are on dirt roads like morocco, you could end up sucking in dust. You need to create positive pressure in the car to help with the dust.

I would rely on the cooling effect of the air con to assist the fridge. If you have a sun roof with tilt option then just keep that open to assist with keeping the cab cooler when parked up.

Which would be the benefit of the reversible fan then. Suck or blow. Now just where have I heard that before? Hmm. Sorry, wrong forum. Oops.

Odd but my AC only works when the engine is running. So when parked up the fan could be very helpful in changing the warm air inside the cabin

I went in the end for a 52l weekender. what i might do is run it for a bit then maybe pick up a smaller one for a freezer if needed.

I was thinking that if you had frozen stuff and the fridge was at 0c any way it should stay good for a week or 2 anyway?
Thanks for everyones imput.
Stu

Back