Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Axle rebuild problem...

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
A couple of weekends ago I replaced all the seals and bearings on the rear axle, I had some dire looking soup in the diff so this was well over due. Installed new shocks and coils at the same time. All went pretty smooth.

Roll on front Axle, soup was even worse...

All was going swimmingly untill I got to installing the PS hub seal. Now I know your not suppose to use a peice of 2x4 to knock the seals in but it has worked really well for me so far, but the b*stard seal just didn't want to go in. after much frustration and grumbling I now have a fubar'd seal :evil: Que order new seal.

Now the DS seal went in wth no issues at all. So something has to be amiss. On a bit of further inspection of the hub I can swear that I can see a flat spot in the recess into which the seal does not want to, but should go... (I put an old bearing race on for pespective)
DSC_0453.jpg

:think: WTF?
DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

Is it me or is there definetly a flat spot there?

How the **** would that have happened? Seams like a very difficult spot for dmage to occur when offroading?

Any ideas on how to fix it or am I going to be calling on the Karl (again, have already managed to break an ABS sensor... :oops: :angry-banghead: )

Alas front shocks and coils are still gathering dust.

Advice please folks.

Only thing i could think of is a broken cv with everything jamming up in the past.

Maybe a slow process with a small file to give it the shape it needs again.

Karl

Hi

Defo a flat spot. See your red arrow on the pic ? Use a round bar about 8mm in diameter with a rounded end and hit it back into shape with a hammer in direction of arrow.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
Hi

Defo a flat spot. See your red arrow on the pic ? Use a round bar about 8mm in diameter with a rounded end and hit it back into shape with a hammer in direction of arrow.

Frank

Dont go to crazy with the hammer tho :whistle:

I would suggest using a brass drift and a BFH.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dave, I was going to say the same. I reckon someone's had that in the vice and tightened it too much when battering a previous bearing out. Or something of that ilk.

I would knock it back to what you can without going mad. If you do have access to a lathe, I would put it in there and set it to take off any high spots. Obviously I wouldn't machine out parent metal on the good sections, but taking out any unwanted points would be easy.

Chris

That's quite common, chances are the rim was damaged tapping in the hub seal - we often see damage there and usually have to use a die grinder loaded with a sanding reel to smooth it off a bit.

If you have, or know someone with, a lathe . .

Turn up a length of steel bar to the same O/D as the seal, then turn a slight taper on the end.

Use it as a drift to make the hole round again (then try to get it out :doh: ).

There is a small danger of stress fractures, but if its only bent once in each direction it should be OK.

I don't know the diameter of the hole, but do you have a large 3/4"-drive socket that is a good fit in the hole ?? If so, use that as a drift (in from the end) or as a 'dolly' (hit from the side).

I don't like resorting to 'Bodgery', but occasionally its necessary :lol:

Bob.

Thanks for the advice guys. Successfully got the seal in today . 3rd time lucky!

I ended up going with JV's advice and used a Dremel with a sanding reel on it. Worked a treat.

Right that's just the painting left to do then mate. Come on, crack on.

Chris

Back